The 144th Running of The Kentucky Derby

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: The 144th Running of The Kentucky Derby

Postby Joltman » Sun May 06, 2018 5:17 pm

Closers did amazingly well really - fighting through conditions. My Boy Jack last with a quarter to go swung 12 wide to get 5th with persistence. Even worse trip - Instilled Regard - ran into a half dozen interruptions and was running best of all down the lane, including the winner. Justify's perfect trip made him look better than he was - although he may have had more in the tank.

jm
Attachments
instreg.JPG
instreg.JPG (34.11 KiB) Viewed 5176 times
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun May 06, 2018 6:20 pm

I thought both Audible and Instilled Regard ran good races, especially IR considering he didn’t do much running until clear.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun May 06, 2018 7:15 pm

In several other places there is a lot of discussion going on regarding whether Justify is lame or not. I looked at the video, and the horse looks off in his left hind leg. The trainer says it is a minor issue. Is it?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon May 07, 2018 6:47 am

If Justify won the Derby with a sore hind leg, I can't wait to see what he does when they get him sound :D
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon May 07, 2018 7:08 am

I read he has mud fever/scratches. I also saw the video and was shocked at how lame he was. Baffert only kept him out for a short time, but the horse didn’t appear comfortable at all.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:43 am

Anybody know Justify's height? Baffert said he was 1268 pounds, and if that's on a medium height horse . . . wtf?
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

murphysmom
2yo Maiden

Postby murphysmom » Mon May 07, 2018 2:04 pm

I was rather surprised by how uncomfortable Justify seemed in the video. Anyone have any further information?

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:04 pm

murphysmom wrote:I was rather surprised by how uncomfortable Justify seemed in the video. Anyone have any further information?

Baffert said just "scratches" on his pastern, something J gets periodically. Not a run-down injury
Said the gravel also pained him because of it. There are shedrow walking clips where he is not lame.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.

----Arrested Development

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 am

Joltman wrote:
TJ wrote:Justify
Bolt d'Oro
Audible
Good Magic
Justify hooked me after I saw him gallop...Baffert's been in this spot with late developers before and never tried to get to the Derby...but this one he thinks will overcome all he's been through to get here. His main issue was OCD lesions which was the reason Tabor, Smith, Magnier (who owned Scat Daddy) didn't bid on him because their vet turned him down at the sale. I will key in on Justify and use others (like Pletcher's group and more:>) in the 3rd and 4th slot...but will need one of my 3 under Justify to get 2nd. My bomb is Instilled Regard who is bred well for the distance and could make a giant tri or super? Good Luck to all. TJ

Congrats - You nailed that one TJ! I hope the totes were rewarding...

jm

Hi Jolt,
Thanks, as it turned out...even though the the winner was the chalk and the place and show horses were logical, I thank Instilled Regard for getting back some of my money I've left behind through the years:>) TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue May 08, 2018 6:37 am

I saw the video where he was indeed extremely sore on that hind leg and there was something said about a KHRC inquiry or inspection. I have had, in my small career, one very big chestnut horse who would act hopping lame on the equivalent of a hangnail. While I'm not saying Justify is that kind of horse, it is possible. Pastern scratches (also called mud fever, etc.) are usually not that painful. But maybe for this horse they are.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 08, 2018 6:44 am

Hi All,
I doubt Baffert would of brought Justify out and parade him around if he had a real issue in that limb. Personally I think it was a dumb move for him to do that. It only brings about controversy and Justify would have been better served staying in the stall so as not to aggravate the healing process by moving around. Mud fever isn't something new, anyone that's been around horses on the track have encountered this problem. That being said it is no less a pain in the neck to have to deal with and keep under control. Also known as scratches...it is a form of dermatitis and bacterial infection from wet skin which causes the skin to soften in horses prone to this condition. The mud rubs against the softened skin and causes painful abrasions. Baffert is treating it with Furicine and although it isn't anything major, it must heal properly before he runs back. As the skin can crack, tear and bleed if it isn't properly healed which could necessitate a scratch under such conditions...simply because there is just 2 weeks to get the condition under control and his skin to regain it's normal pliable strength prior to the Preakness. We will just have wait and see? TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 08, 2018 6:51 am

madelyn wrote:I saw the video where he was indeed extremely sore on that hind leg and there was something said about a KHRC inquiry or inspection. I have had, in my small career, one very big chestnut horse who would act hopping lame on the equivalent of a hangnail. While I'm not saying Justify is that kind of horse, it is possible. Pastern scratches (also called mud fever, etc.) are usually not that painful. But maybe for this horse they are.

Hi Madelyn,
Our post's crossed in cyber space:>) Yes, I agree they aren't usually that painful...but after he ran a mile and a quarter through that muddy soup with those fast early fractions, he had plenty time to get a super bad case of scratches. I also am prone to believe chestnuts are afflicted more so then other colors. I hope your Paynter baby is doing well. TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue May 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks TJ. In a case verging on the comical... the Paynter colt was a cryptorchid, I mean you could not find those things with a search warrant in January. He shipped into Barn 2 at High Point (Barn 1 was full, which is where my base is located) and the co-tenants all complained about him and we had to (1) train him before the barn got started so he was not in the Eurociser with a bunch of fillies) (2) give him a Reserpine shot - 21 day tranq - and train him through the really developed studdish behaviour he arrived with and (3) WAIT. Once he was disciplined properly for exhibiting any kind of stallion behaviour in public he Straightened Right Out. We agree he can do as he wants in his stall, but no showing of normally hidden body parts in PUBLIC, no mare calling, nothing other than keep your head down and on the task at hand. I arranged for him to have a corner stall next to my exercise rider's gelding so he is isolated from female company to that extent. I SUSPECT that a boarding farm who had him might have mistaken him for a gelding and turned him out with general pop creating the behaviour we had to undo. Maybe they figured it out when he was jumping on all the fillies. A fellow in Barn 2 also had a cryptorchid and it was trumpeted that he had found a clinic in Lex to do his for $500.... so I got more pressure to cut mine but as I said, he trained through it. The other crypt went off for his surgery, came back, and four days later was rushed to a clinic. He had got colitis. He died. The bills were more like $5K not $500 and the characters pushing me to cut my own horse all melted away. Then last week one testicle dropped. This week the other is starting to show on the other side. His "bad" x-rays were evaluated by someone with apparently no experience with yearlings. Just about every joint had "a lucency" ranging from mild to very extremely mild.... :D on a YEARLING.. He's training up a storm. He was an April 7th colt so we have it scheduled to look at his knees maybe Friday of this week to see if they are closed. I love my big black "Eddie at Bat"..

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 08, 2018 6:38 pm

madelyn wrote:Thanks TJ. In a case verging on the comical... the Paynter colt was a cryptorchid, I mean you could not find those things with a search warrant in January. He shipped into Barn 2 at High Point (Barn 1 was full, which is where my base is located) and the co-tenants all complained about him and we had to (1) train him before the barn got started so he was not in the Eurociser with a bunch of fillies) (2) give him a Reserpine shot - 21 day tranq - and train him through the really developed studdish behaviour he arrived with and (3) WAIT. Once he was disciplined properly for exhibiting any kind of stallion behaviour in public he Straightened Right Out. We agree he can do as he wants in his stall, but no showing of normally hidden body parts in PUBLIC, no mare calling, nothing other than keep your head down and on the task at hand. I arranged for him to have a corner stall next to my exercise rider's gelding so he is isolated from female company to that extent. I SUSPECT that a boarding farm who had him might have mistaken him for a gelding and turned him out with general pop creating the behaviour we had to undo. Maybe they figured it out when he was jumping on all the fillies. A fellow in Barn 2 also had a cryptorchid and it was trumpeted that he had found a clinic in Lex to do his for $500.... so I got more pressure to cut mine but as I said, he trained through it. The other crypt went off for his surgery, came back, and four days later was rushed to a clinic. He had got colitis. He died. The bills were more like $5K not $500 and the characters pushing me to cut my own horse all melted away. Then last week one testicle dropped. This week the other is starting to show on the other side. His "bad" x-rays were evaluated by someone with apparently no experience with yearlings. Just about every joint had "a lucency" ranging from mild to very extremely mild.... :D on a YEARLING.. He's training up a storm. He was an April 7th colt so we have it scheduled to look at his knees maybe Friday of this week to see if they are closed. I love my big black "Eddie at Bat"..

Hi Madelyn,
All's well that drops well:>) That happened to us once...it's a funny story, gonna send you a PM with it. Read it when you want a laugh:>) Glad he's doing well! TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Wed May 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Now it’s not scratches, but rather he has a bruised heel.