The 150th Running of The GR I Belmont Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The 150th Running of The GR I Belmont Stakes

Postby TJ » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Another large and outstanding field of 3YO's assembling to block Justify's bid to become our 13th Triple Crown winner and only the 2nd undefeated colt in history to win the TC. Funny thing, rain is possible for the race...with over a 60% chance of rain at race time:>) TJ

11th Race. Approx Post 6:46PM
THE GR I BELMONT STAKES
Purse $1,500,000 (Up to $60,000 NYSBFOA) One Mile And One Half Miles
FOR THREE YEAR OLDS.
1 Justify(L) Ch.c.3 126 Smith, M China Horse Club Int'l Ltd. Baffert, Bob
2 Free Drop Billy(L) Ch.c.3 126 Albarado, R Albaugh Family Stable Romans, Dale
3 Bravazo(L) Dk B/ Br.c.3 126 Saez, L Calumet Farm Lukas, D. Wayne
4 Hofburg(L) Ch.c.3 126 Ortiz, Jr., I Juddmonte Farms Mott, William
5 Restoring Hope(L) Dk B/ Br.c.3 126 Geroux, F West, G & M Baffert, Bob
6 Gronkowski(L1) Dk B/ Br.c.3 126 Ortiz, J Phoenix Thoroughbred III Brown, Chad
7 Tenfold(L) Dk B/ Br.c.3 126 Santana, Jr., R Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC Asmussen, Steven
8 Vino Rosso(L) Ch.c.3 126 Velazquez, J Repole Stable Pletcher, Todd
9 Noble Indy(L) B.c.3 126 Castellano, J Repole Stable Pletcher, Todd Blk-Off
10 Blended Citizen(L) B.c.3 126 Frey, K SAYJAY Racing O'Neill, Doug

Click on Restoring Hope: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... ummary.htm

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Re: The 150th Running of The GR I Belmont Stakes

Postby Shergar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Justify is certainly going to have to earn it. Solid field for the Belmont. Though I would love to see another TC winner, I'm working myself up to take a stand against him.

Regards,
Shergar

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:54 pm

I have to post this, you know life on the backstretch is truly amazing. It's 24/7 and runs the gamut from the best to the worst days of your life. Yet it is a family and of course, like a family, there will be some arguments along the way...but just watch the camaraderie between Baffert, Pletcher, Lukas and Romans. They will fiercely go at each other during any race they might all be in...like the Belmont Stakes this Saturday, but there is always a connection that remains through thick and thin because as good and tough as this business is, there is a commonality of love for the horse and a true respect for these hard working, dedicated horsemen/women. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utOlDhXoyko

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 am

Here's the DRF past performances for the Belmont Stakes. TJ
http://www1.drf.com/formulator-web/Free ... ce-race/11

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:28 am

I'm looking at Bravazo, who's been game while taking the slop in the last two. I don't know if Justify will get any real pressure this time, and I kinda doubt it. But Bravazo has some real pedigree stoutness. Awesome Again's sired BC Classic winners. Cee's Tizzy is sire of Tiznow, a major force for classic distance horses. Slew O Gold won the JC Gold Cup at a mile and a half. My only concern is that he took tough shots in the last two. Vino Rosso could bounce back after an awful trip and Tenfold is coming into his own.

Interesting run for sure

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:08 pm

Justify, Hofburg, Free Drop Billy and Bravazo are my favorites for the Belmont. I'd love to see a dead heat Justify/Hofburg. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:29 pm

TJ wrote:I have to post this, you know life on the backstretch is truly amazing. It's 24/7 and runs the gamut from the best to the worst days of your life. Yet it is a family and of course, like a family, there will be some arguments along the way...but just watch the camaraderie between Baffert, Pletcher, Lukas and Romans. They will fiercely go at each other during any race they might all be in...like the Belmont Stakes this Saturday, but there is always a connection that remains through thick and thin because as good and tough as this business is, there is a commonality of love for the horse and a true respect for these hard working, dedicated horsemen/women. TJ

That was a great video TJ - thanks for sharing.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:53 am

I will try to keep this post short, but there are some things I would like to mention. First, the only other GR1 winner, Free Drop Billy, accomplished this feat as a 2 year old, nothing much at 3. Second, no entry has earned a higher Beyer figure than Justify, with Gronkowski not applicable, but he is no Go and Go for my money. Justify comes into this with 5 Beyer numbers higher than any of the entries. I have data that supports the fact that horses with a triple advantage win 3 out of 4 races, Justify has 5. Third, some people have the opinion that the Preakness win indicates a bounce or drop off in form, I believe that the Preakness win added to his foundation and I offer his bullet work at Churchill as proof that he is physically ready for the Belmont. Of the new shooters, Blended Citizen's win over the track can provide him with a slight edge with that fact. Mott had enough faith in Hofburg to run in the Florida Derby with only a maiden win, and he justified (pun intended) that opinion with a good effort. I believe Justify will eat them alive with his overwhelming speed and class advantage. With a clean break and fast track we may see a final time worthy of a Triple Crown winner. May they all have a safe trip. Good luck to all.

DDT
Last edited by DDT on Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:57 am

Joltman wrote:
TJ wrote:I have to post this, you know life on the backstretch is truly amazing. It's 24/7 and runs the gamut from the best to the worst days of your life. Yet it is a family and of course, like a family, there will be some arguments along the way...but just watch the camaraderie between Baffert, Pletcher, Lukas and Romans. They will fiercely go at each other during any race they might all be in...like the Belmont Stakes this Saturday, but there is always a connection that remains through thick and thin because as good and tough as this business is, there is a commonality of love for the horse and a true respect for these hard working, dedicated horsemen/women. TJ

That was a great video TJ - thanks for sharing.

Hi Jolt,
It was a different look at the way it was/is on the racetrack. Of course not as close knit as it once was...but it still exists. Guys like the "Chief" AKA Allen Jerkens, would always be willing to give advice or help anyone who asked. One of my favorites was Chester Ross, he was another that gave his knowledge willingly, as well as his own special remedies to those who were starting out. The stories they would tell were a racing history lesson as well as a way of simplifying and understanding how to train a race horse. Some of that has changed simply because of the powerful big stables who control most of the top owners/horse. That being said these big guys are just as willing to help if you approached them. Though it can create a bit of dissent in the lower ranks...but they do overcome in most cases, yet could have that touch of animosity while trying to improve their position in the business. But it is a special video and well worth watching, glad you enjoyed it. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:00 am

Weather Update:
Good News...Looks like the track will be fast for today's Belmont Stakes!!!TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:03 am

Looking for an upset:

Hofburg
Vino Rosso
Justify
Bravazo

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:32 am

I've seen the 3 great TC victories of the 70's and was ecstatic to see American Pharoah get the ball rolling again. Growing up I've always heard things good and bad come in three's...so I'm expecting two more TC Champion's in this decade:>) TJ

Justify...I think he's a much better horse over a fast track.
Vino Rosso...JV and Pletcher have a good record in the Belmont Stakes.
Noble Indy...another Pletcher entry pointed for the Belmont Stakes which WinStar also has an interest in.
Restoring Hope...Baffert's other horse ran well against Vino Rosso in his first try in NY?

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:17 pm

How have Justify's silks been changed? Has there been a shift in the owner percentages? I didn't realize they could be changed once they were set unless there was an ownership change.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:54 pm

WE have a Triple Crown winner!!!!!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:55 pm

Here's the finish of The Belmont Stakes:
Justify...gate to wire, becomes our 13th TC Champion! Now I need one more this decade:>)
Gronkowsi...a very good 2nd.
Hofburg...3rd
Vino Rosso...4th