Please Critique Saluki Gold Rush: In Memoriam 2/23/09

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Please Critique Saluki Gold Rush: In Memoriam 2/23/09

Postby spex4me » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:34 pm

I have gotten my Jack Daniels out along with a shot glass so let it fly! :wink:

She is sweaty but I tried to take pix on 2 different days and both days was hot and humid!!

"Spex" is now 15.2 900# dob of 03/27/06. I will be posting a link of her cantering and trotting so her movement can be viewed aslo.

So here goes ........ :P

Last edited by spex4me on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:14 pm

my god is it that bad???? :cry: I can still learn with negative comments. Remember the more a TB looks like a Walker to me the more I like it (it's all I know :( )

anyway here is a link to some poor quality video of her motion..... which up to this point I like... lol :shock: I personally am leaning towards jumping over racing but I'll let her try anything that doesn't get her hurt and she shows joy in doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQKdqPT--K0

I also have a few others with her under the videos from this user tab. Sorry about quality but I am still trying to figure out the devil disquised as a digital camera.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:39 pm

Well she looks like she has Great bone and will be a nice sound filly. Her neck is a bit light and she needs more topline but she is just a yearling and will grow, but not more than 1 or 2 more inches in height. She would be a very good candidate to break in Oct, look at Jan-Feb to start training and try her at two provided her knees are closed, or close to it.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:20 pm

She is a pretty girl isn't she? She's ok.

winds

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:02 pm

The little bit I did know when I was looking for this girl was that I wanted leg aka bone (lol) I figured that if she hated/was being waited on at the finish line by dogs with knives and forks at the track I really want to pursue jumping. And I run as fast as I can from spindly legged horses (as no one in our household will ever pass for a jockey lmao!)

The other thing I wanted was something from The Bid . God I don't know why but I have a love affair with him , I think he was the first race horse I laid eyes on when I was a youngster. Her pop is an unraced full brother to Dr Fong and Lucky Story. Supposedly he did not like track work. So they donated him to the university. He is a big puppy dog even more laid back than my Walker nags.

As for topline, I was contemplating some basic dressage in early training. Are there other exercises that would help improve that? And is light in the neck the same thing as a skinny neck? I am hoping that improves with work, as of right now she is a pasture playmate.

I had planned on her running late summer 07, and had thought maybe that was too soon :?:

Thanks so far. If you ever get a Walking horse I can help you out there lmao!!

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:23 pm

spex4me wrote:
I had planned on her running late summer 07, and had thought maybe that was too soon :?:

More like too late. Welcome to autumn '07! :wink:

She's a pretty filly. Wish I could see her front legs at a better angle, but she's pretty.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:37 pm

ok lmao rof I am a dummmmmarse!! yeah 07 drink some more jack hehehehe.

here is a shot of her legs from the front. Also more pix of course in my "photo"bucket lol!!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/d ... 307009.jpg

apexseal
Yearling

Postby apexseal » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:24 pm

Damn, exactly the same date of birth as my filly!!!
Good luck with her as I too am learning as well.
Peter

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:13 am

Her torso looks like she wants to be a sprinter. Her hind end IMO lacks the depth to generate serious speed. Combined with the lack of muscling in her neck it looks like parts of her wants to sprint and parts want to go long. A combination IMO that usually doesn't bode well for high class racing. However, she's young and has a lot of filling out to do and that could change entirely in 6mo.

Discovery
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Discovery » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:29 pm

awww I love her

I would jump her, but then again, I'm biased :lol:

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:53 pm

hehehe yeah it took me almost 2 long years looking to find the chica I wanted, as I wanted the horse I could point to either racing or jumping, and for jumping I definitely wanted thicker legs. (Us thick chicks gotta stick together :P )

I am anxiously awaiting the 2 year bday .... I take pix everyday to see her change and how she changes lmao. This is why I will never have very many at one time! :roll:

It is funny about her having combo attributes because her ped has combo racers lol. So that will be yet another surprise as to what she prefers. And looking at dosage numbers which I may have about a 20% total grasp of, I THINK she falls in the middle of the spectrum, so go figure lmao! :lol:

So hopefully in a few months my skinny neck filly will be a little thicker and rounded . :wink:

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:42 pm

Ok I am just adding this in case anyone else wants to compare filly growth or whatever. Spex is now 21 mos . Does nothing more strenous other than pony 10-15 miles a week, mostly trot a little canter. She measures 63 inches from ground to wither. I am now going to have her tested for sabino for all you color people :wink: . She has a rose quartz look as she gets a tiny bit of shag from the winter coat.

She has white patches, one on each of her shoulders, one on her belly, and mystery dark patches on her rump and shoulder. The white patches have pink underneath, but it is not as big as the patch itself. The sire Northward Bound also has those mystery dark patches and he's passed it on to another filly this year from a different dam. She's light chestnut very little chrome with 2 dark spots. Weird.....anyway here's Specimen "S" at 21 months. More pix on link below if you get really bored.

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/depbel/Spex%20Nov%20Dec/

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby casallc » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:05 pm

Dave C wrote:Her torso looks like she wants to be a sprinter. Her hind end IMO lacks the depth to generate serious speed. Combined with the lack of muscling in her neck it looks like parts of her wants to sprint and parts want to go long. A combination IMO that usually doesn't bode well for high class racing. However, she's young and has a lot of filling out to do and that could change entirely in 6mo.

Her pedigree suggests more ground. I doubt she will be a sprinter but no one can tell.

Tiz
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Tiz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:11 pm

I like your filly. Nice shoulder, topline, excellent bone..... Hope she runs for you!

Her color is kind of mysterious. Rose gray?

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:27 pm

Thanks. :)
I really truly wanted to have my first TB to be a bit more than a 7 furlonger. But I also am not looking for one to run over 1 1/2 miles, maybe if I wanted to steeplechase :wink: So I thought when looking at her ped I was getting a nice classic/solid prospect. But that short lil body of hers??? :? Though recently she has seemed to stretch a tad hair or two.... I knew they'd go up but not long. Now I am being tempted with the purchase of her full weanling sister who is the complete opposite. Solid true grey, no white and a long lanky body......horses I give up.........(when pigs fly and I can fit back into a size 4 jean!! :lol: )