This forum and colour

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Tonno100
Maiden Special Weight

This forum and colour

Postby Tonno100 » Thu May 01, 2008 6:45 am

Why does colour seem to be so important to people on this forum? Every foal watch has detailed descriptions of the amount of "chrome" and in-depth analysis of what colour the horses actually are.

I'm not denegrating anyone in any way, I just find it strange that people are so caught up in colour when breeding animals whose value is based not on that, but on how fast they can run!

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Thu May 01, 2008 7:25 am

I think its because the people participating in this forum are not only racehorse breeders, owners etc but also sporthorse breeders and owners.

The first group typically doesn't care about color while the secoind group often does.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Thu May 01, 2008 7:36 am

Or, like me, they're interested in the gene pool and genetics and the way colors pop up out of nowhere, it seems. :)
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Thu May 01, 2008 8:52 am

There are several solid colored stallions and mares that mysteriously have foals with lots of bling. Its always interesting to see what you get especially off the solid horses with the hidden gene. The bling is just an added bonus.

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Thu May 01, 2008 8:54 am

Because they're PURTY!

And figuring out how they got here is interesting.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Thu May 01, 2008 11:41 am

To me it's like the difference between a BMW and a BMW-i. Sure both are great , but one appeals more to you individually. As you can tell by my avatar, I like a little bling on hooves and wheels. But I own both kinds! :wink:

But sure would be nice to be in a winner's circle with a horse as fast as it was pretty..... :lol:
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Thu May 01, 2008 12:01 pm

Actually, the whole board isn't... if you look, it's generally the same people posting about colour. IME, most of the board doesn't care or comment one way or another. Colour doesn't run.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Thu May 01, 2008 8:09 pm

I think a number of members, act as spotters for Jorge. He's researching not color exactly, but using color as a marker for traits that may be on the same chromosome. When ever I run across a horse that fits his research profile, I'll post a note, or a link about it in the General Discussion topic.

His research does work both ways, as I think there is a link between the non-bay black based horses and maximum expression of the newly verified Dominant White gene. This came directly from looking at Jorge's research on White TB's, and I never would have noticed this connection without Jorge's
detailed research.

Tonno100
Maiden Special Weight

ok

Postby Tonno100 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:56 am

Ok next question...

Why call it "chrome"?

I always thought chrome was silver, or, more specifically, having the character of Chromium!

bayrabicano
Allowance Winner

Re: ok

Postby bayrabicano » Fri May 02, 2008 5:13 am

Tonno100 wrote:Ok next question...

Why call it "chrome"?

I always thought chrome was silver, or, more specifically, having the character of Chromium!

It's simply slang...like bling, etc.. It saves time typing a complete description. If the photo is posted, why take the time to state "three white stockings and an interesting blaze..."
"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
- Michelangelo

Tonno100
Maiden Special Weight

what about

Postby Tonno100 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:32 am

Lots of white? (less letters than chrome!)

Hope all are taking this in good humour!! :lol:

Regal13
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Regal13 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:52 am

I think it's important to remember that for the most part, even color breeders are looking for a quality horse first and foremost. The color is a bonus. A horse with more "chrome" is also an easier sell once its racing career is over. Flashy horses are more desirable in the show ring and therefore easier to sell or adopt as an OTT or sporthorse prospect....
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people." ~ W.C. Fields

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri May 02, 2008 9:20 am

"lots of white" has too many syllables hehehehe!!! :lol:

Regal stated it pretty good too. The show ring demands standouts (though I wish they'd do away with all that razzmataz clothes and tack) and most people who want to show THINK they need that horse to stand out in a crowd. Tb's that have "bling" will get picked up twice as easy for those homes as opposed to non marked Tb's. Not fair at all to the horse, but we humans are doing nothing but constantly trying to one up the other, and it filters over to everything we get our hands on, good and bad.

And then yes Jorge the great!! :D Doing wonderful extensive work on Tb's of color! :wink:
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Re: ok

Postby Nessa » Fri May 02, 2008 9:53 am

Tonno100 wrote:Ok next question...

Why call it "chrome"?

Calling the white markings "chrome", also refers to the shiny properties of the color, much like "shiny chrome on a car". Horses with white faces are called bald, once again referring to the reflective quality of the white marking(like the shiny bald head on a man). :wink:
Nu

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri May 02, 2008 3:17 pm

My favorite color is = in the winner's circle.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....