Sabino Stakes winner for Jorge

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Sabino Stakes winner for Jorge

Postby Derby Lyn » Fri May 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Fri May 02, 2008 7:36 pm

Derby Lyn,

Thank you very much for the valuable reference. Hmmm, how curious, there are two Far West in the database foaled in 2003. One from the US, the other from Chile. Of course, the son of Way West is our subject case (http://www.horseadoption.com/horsedetail.asp?id=823).
Is he really an entire horse or rather a gelding? Nice high-leg marked chestnut. Glad to know they are interested in providing him a thoughtful owner. Thanks again. :D

Joie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Joie » Sun May 04, 2008 5:56 am

I've e-mailed AND called on him, Jorge. I'll let you know what I find out...

If he is still intact, I am hoping he's still available.

Bondama
Grade III Winner

Postby Bondama » Mon May 05, 2008 7:47 am

Awesome catch, Joie. Well worth the $200 and shipping. Hope you can get him.
Justice: When you get what you deserve.
Mercy: When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace: When you get what you don't deserve.

Joie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Joie » Mon May 05, 2008 8:50 am

Yes, I am hopeful...

We had to euthanize Wicklow Highlands on April 24th (I am not sure if I posted that here or not), so I'd be thrilled to have another chestnut man around the farm. And I love sabino...my other stallion is a bay sabino thoroughbred, and he's adopted as well.

I miss my guy so much. His firstborn colt was stillborn on the same day we had to make the decision to euthanize Wick. it was a terrible day for me, and I am really not sure if I can get over it.

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Mon May 05, 2008 9:51 am

I read that on another forum Joie. So sorry to hear about that.

Joie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Joie » Mon May 05, 2008 10:18 am

Well....

He's been gelded. :(

Yes, thank Derby Lyn. It's been a touch couple of weeks. Even though he wasn't at home when it happened, it was really tough. Maybe even more tough, since I didn't get to say goodbye to him. :cry:

PS check your PM's ;)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon May 05, 2008 11:47 am

Sorry to hear about your stallion and your colt. Tough business sometimes, huh?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Joie » Mon May 05, 2008 11:59 am

Tough, for sure. He was a real workhorse on the track, so to lose him to a pasture injury is just devastating. It just goes to show how fragile they really are.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon May 05, 2008 2:11 pm

Joie

I'm so sorry. I had looked forward to seeing the progeny of Wicklow Highlands on the track. He was such a warrior.

The last post I read here from you was the one in which you said you had sent him to Louisiana because you could not attract thoroughbred mares to him in Illinois.

You lost him to a paddock injury after he went to La?

Karie
Grade III Winner

Postby Karie » Mon May 05, 2008 5:01 pm

my APR still shows him as a colt... so who knows??

Joie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Joie » Mon May 05, 2008 7:24 pm

I called New Vocations, and they confirmed that Far West has been gelded. Since they just got him in (I'm assuming, since he's at the top of their list) it could be fairly recent. Either way, I heard it straight from the horses mouth. "No, we don't take in anything intact". Bummer.

geowarrior,

Yes, he was in his paddock in LA and he took a bad step at the TROT, and fell, somersaulted, and got back up. He was weight-bearing and everything. There were a series of fractures at the elbow. Although surgery could have "saved" him, the prognosis was not even remote that he'd live a "normal" life again, and because he had he 2 bows on the same leg, as well as a fractured sesamoid, the chances of his right leg holding up to the stress of all that weight over time during recovery were slim. Having to tell the vet to euthanize him was one of the hardest decisions I could have made, but it really was the only "fair" thing to do.

He had already bred several mares in LA, and had several more ready to breed, including a couple of mine that I leased along with him so the foals could be LA breds.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Mon May 05, 2008 10:26 pm

I'm really sorry, Joie. I know what a hard decision it must have been.

With the current debate raging around us, I don't think people fully appreciate that the basic anatomy of the horse makes it very vulnerable to these types of accidents. I realize this far more since I took in my own retired racehorse and am starting to get hands on experience. Every little trip and stumble, at any pace is a potential bad step.

I do hope there will be some nice foals to remember him by.