Black Thoroughbreds

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Yes WE is a good sire, that is what keeps them trying!
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:23 am

Anyone figure out War Emblems problem? Lack of interest, or defective swimmers? Or some combination?

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:17 pm

erhrdt3 wrote:Damn! All those pure black TB's in Japan, all the way over there. There are so few here. Even Zenyatta's little sister, Ebliousante, looks black but is really a dark seal, dark like her sire, Bernardini. They are calling her black but she is not.

Devil His Due is a true black, saw it with my own eyes, and I ended up with a match of my mare, a blood bay :?

I wonder if someone has came up with the historical overall number of
Black Thoroughbreds produced by Black sires or by Black dams --- regardless of the color of its mate! I think that such a result will greatly help a better understanding of that color even with the given bias that implies having to include every available color, either in homozygous or heterozygous version.

Any historical number?

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

!

Postby erhrdt3 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:05 pm

I don't know, but I do know Devil His Due has sired pure black foals out of much lighter mares than mine. There was one I was interested in buying and he was pure, pure black and out of a chestnut! What the heck!

I know one thing for sure; there are more overseas, esp. in Japan, than we have over here.

I'm for getting some color on the track, more pure blacks, light greys, whites, and yes, my dream, palominos! Don't know why they cannot run just as fast since they are pure TB's and some of the palomino's have very good pedigrees. They send them off to the show ring right away.
Even some splashes of color, paints on the TB's that some of our great posters are breeding, I would love to see on the track. I know we have one poster overseas that has that paint who did pretty well.

It's not out of the question. And Jorge, every time I see a flashy grey, I think of you! :)
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

Sunday Silence

Postby Sunday Silence » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:35 am

Remarkable Timber (OR)

BLK , G, foaled March 30, 2006

( Timber Legend - Charleen's Remark, by Regal Remark)

Connections as of last Start:
Jockey: Anne Sanguinetti
Trainer: Nick Chalich
Owner: Chalich, Nick and Lois
Breeder: Nick Chalich & Lois Chalich

He is still running.

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 am

xfactor fan wrote:Anyone figure out War Emblems problem? Lack of interest, or defective swimmers? Or some combination?

His swimmers are fine. He's a shy breeder. Doesn't like many ladies. Or some years, any ladies.

Sunday Silence

Postby Sunday Silence » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:00 pm

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:01 am

Sunday Silence wrote:http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/74980/war-emblem-filly-wins-at-top-level-at-hanshin

Oh man, she's so pure black and with a beautiful star on her face it looks like.
They've got them all over there! You can tell just by looking at that photo she is pure black.

Why is Japan buying all the pure black stallions!! Not fair

I see in the article that poor ole War Emblem tried to get 3 mares in foal and none of them settled. So none for him this year.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:05 pm

I have a question:

Is there a more involuntary tendency to register more "quaere" horses as "blacks" than "browns" in the regions where Sunday Silence reigned supreme? I wonder if many of those "black" Thoroughbreds would be registered as such in the US! What do you think?

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Jorge, thats a good question. I do, however, believe there are more pure black TB's over there then there are here. They have the stallions and most of our mares over there to make a pure black. Sunday Silence came from Halo, who was pure black, and I've noticed in my browsing that somewhere in a pure black TB's pedigree is Halo/Hail to Reason. Of course there are always exceptions, depending on who they are bred to. My mare has alot of Hail to Reason in both upper and lower and she is a blood bay. When I bred her to Devil His Due, a pure black stallion, I got a match of my mare, a blood bay. They are doing more genetic testing for color now more than ever, IMHO. It's confusing too, with all the capital letters and lower case letters.

In the case of the filly by War Emblem, again, IMHO, she is a black filly. You have to look at the nose and the groin area and sometimes under the tail area.

Everyone is saying Zenyatta's little half sister, Eblouisante (sp?) is a pure black, but she's NOT! She is a dark mink brown like Bernardini, but there is Kris S. in there and he was or looked black so she is very dark at her young age. Many of the photos show her looking black but I think its just the camera, there is a great photo of her on her facebook page for the cover photo and it clearly shows she is a dark beautiful mink brown.

I saw a grey horse the other day online that was so dappled he almost looked like an appaloosa and I forgot who he was because I was going to send the photo to you. I believe he's running now, I'd bet you already are aware of him! LOL Thanks Jorge :D

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Here is the newest top-notch stakes winner officially registered as black.

He will be competing in the 2013 edition of the
THE SATSUKI SHO (JAPANESE 2000 GUINEAS)(G1)
(run at NAKAYAMA 11R)

His name is: MEIKEI PEG STAR (Black c 2010)
http://www.pedigreequery.com/meikei+pega+star

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat May 04, 2013 7:08 pm

Take a look at another officially registered black mare racing in Japan:

Verxina (Black m 2009) http://www.pedigreequery.com/verxina

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 pm

It's quite curious the considerable number of officially registered "Black" Thoroughbreds racing in Japan. Just discovered these three additional cases:

01. Meiner Schrei (Black h 2008) http://www.pedigreequery.com/meiner+schrei
02. Meiner Dean (Black h 2009) http://www.pedigreequery.com/meiner+dean
03. Garbo (Black h 2007) http://www.pedigreequery.com/garbo11

Sunday Silence

Postby Sunday Silence » Tue May 07, 2013 6:33 am

Robe Tissage is another big name horse in Japan who is black.

Sunday Silence

Postby Sunday Silence » Tue May 07, 2013 1:55 pm

http://www.jrha.or.jp/select/2012/216.html

This one is registered as black.