VALENCAY (1960) a very flamboyant one!

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Jorge

VALENCAY (1960) a very flamboyant one!

Postby Jorge » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:18 pm

This colt was far more flamboyant than I was Framed or any of his gets.
Only comparable with Tri Chrome.
I have a question: what happened with this equine?
Perhaps someone from France may help us on this one.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/valencay2

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:18 am

Any pictures Jorge?

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:40 pm

His picture as a yearling can be seen in the very same issue of the British Racehorse where a photo of the white colt Mont Blanc was also published in 1964 (I guess). I browsed an old black and white photocopy of the photo and the contrast was very sharp, albeit the quality of the page was quite poor. The whereabouts of this colt remains a mystery. Anyway, that was far back during the early 1960's.... :(

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:15 pm

What kind of markings did he have? Sharp edges? Or fuzzy ones? Or both? Roaning?

Does anybody have that issue??? :D
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:08 am

Let me see what else can I find. But don't miss to check my site at
http://www.geocities.com/thoroughbredpr/history.htm
page 11, first paragraph. But I remember that from a distance he looked very contrasting like Tri Chrome.

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:58 pm

He almost sounds more splash (+ sabino) in that description. Just have to see the picture though.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:21 am

Lucky day! Found the much clearer copy of the article: its the British Racehorse of November of 1964, from pages 608 to 611. The author is Rhys Llewellyn. The comment on the photo reads:

"Chestnut Colt: a photograph by the author of a chestnut colt Valencay (Free Man--La Lorie) at Deauville UYearling Sales in 1961. A recessive gene "f" at double strength "ff" is responsible for the light mane and tail. The white face and stockings are caused by a recessive gene at double strength. The extent of these markings and the white body marking, is probably determined by several moddifying genes."

I have a black and white photocopy of the page but most probably the original photo was also black and white. There Valencay sported white legs up to 3 or 4 inches above both knees. The same pattern on the right rear leg but partially white from above the hock in a diagonal pattern. The left rear leg is white but the white only ascends to about 3 inches short of the hock. He is carrying a big belly patch that looks like the map of the island of Cerdeña (south of Córcega, and to the west of Rome, Italy). But you have to position yourself looking the map as if the west side (coast) of that island is the top part of the belly and the east side (coast) of the island is the lowest bottom part of the belly. Looks like he is also carrying a very small elongated solitary spot on his right rear thigh.

:D :D :D :D
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:D :D :D :D

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:15 pm

He looks sabino (or dom. white take your pick!), don't think he is frame though. I wonder if any of the frame horses now trace back to him. Thanks so much for the pictures Jorge!

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:15 pm

Dear Angrovestud,

This is the horse (and topic) you were mentioning in another thread. His name was VALENCAY (by Free Man out of La Lorie).

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:21 pm

This is the reference for the topic on VALENCAY brought by Angrovestud:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/view ... 4&start=15