Update on Blue Eyed Streaker

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Update on Blue Eyed Streaker

Postby Nessa » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Blue Eyed Steaker is standing at Echo Hill Farm Colored Thoroughbred and Sporthorses in Kentucky. There are some wonderful photos of Streaker, enjoy!

http://www.echohillsporthorses.com/welcome.htm

As a side note I was looking through old posts about BES and came across one listing the known frame TB lines. Insouciant, through Give Em the Axe was noted as the probable source of the gene for Patchy Lassy and her offspring but he was not the source for Blue Eye Streaker. I started looking back through both pedigrees to see if there might be a common odd colored ancestor. I came across a horse named Rapid Rhone(Young Melbourne x Lanercost Mare) who appears in both pedigrees through daughters Bonnie Doon for Patchy Lassy and Fitz Anne for Blue Eyed Streaker.

Rapid Rhone is listed as gray as are his dam the Lanercost Mare, and granddam Physalis. The rub is that Physalis(Bay Middleton x Baleine) is a gray from two non gray parents. Bay Middleton was a bay(name says it all) and Baleine is a roan by the brown stud Whalebone out of the chestnut Soothsayer Mare. The Soothsayer Mare is said to have had nine roan foals, so she was carrying something other than just the red gene. The Soothsayer Mare isn't the only source of color though. I'll get to that later. If you go to the Thoroughbred Heritage website you'll be able to find paintings and descriptions of many of the horses in Soothsayer Mare's pedigree, and the others who may be responsible for the color shown by Blue Eyed Streaker and Patchy Lassy.
http://www.tbheritage.com/index.html

Soothsayer Mare
http://www.pedigreequery.com/soothsayer+mare
Baleine
http://www.pedigreequery.com/baleine2
Nu

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:22 pm

Blue Eyed Streaker and Tri Chrome are close relatives. Both are heavy influenced with Hyperion, not just any Hyperion but Alibhai! The influential Teddy is also present here. Most important, the presence of The Axe II (and his sire) is very powerful too. Those seems to be the most influential strains here.

I wish Insouciant could be an influence here, but unless I see a picture of her, and she is carrying a flamboyant phenotype, I don't think she is playing much of a a role here. Wish I am wrong :D because then its a new angle of study.

Anyway pictures are very important here. By the way, would really like to see a photo of Give Em The Axe.

All the Best,

(p.s. As per the yesteryears horses......hmmmm....interesting angle!)

framed
Weanling

Postby framed » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:59 am

Hi Nessa,
I too have done some research into the possible origin of Blue Eyed Streaker's color genetics and had similar findings. Three links to Bonnie Donne via Az Igazi, one to Fitz Anne via the roan mare Miss Stokkr, and another to Bonnie Doone via Bev's Girl(blue larkspur).
Would like to get some input on his speckled lower lip white and very large roan patches that extend from white hip markings...almost like the white is smudged. Haven't seen it before. I'll look at this site later and see if I can determine how to attach photos. He has also passed the blue eyes alone with no other frame patterns, so wondering if the blues are linked seperate from the frame. Rabicano and sabino probably at work....
Any thoughts?

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:06 am

Karen (BLue Eyed Streaker's new owner) has 3 of her mares in foal to him for 2009 foals, so really crossing my fingers for her that she gets 3 fabulous babies from that cross! :)

He looks terrific in his new home. Its so nice to see him happy and healthy and well placed ... :)
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:17 pm

framed wrote:Hi Nessa,
I too have done some research into the possible origin of Blue Eyed Streaker's color genetics and had similar findings. Three links to Bonnie Donne via Az Igazi, one to Fitz Anne via the roan mare Miss Stokkr, and another to Bonnie Doone via Bev's Girl(blue larkspur).
Would like to get some input on his speckled lower lip white and very large roan patches that extend from white hip markings...almost like the white is smudged. Haven't seen it before. I'll look at this site later and see if I can determine how to attach photos. He has also passed the blue eyes alone with no other frame patterns, so wondering if the blues are linked seperate from the frame. Rabicano and sabino probably at work....
Any thoughts?

Blue eyes can be a minimal form of expression of the frame gene.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.