color question

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

color question

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:41 am

what color can grey mare(now white with grey tail and mane)can produce with Guaranteed Gold. and how about a bai mare with yellow eyes and dorsal strip?
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:16 pm

Sylvie,

Do you know what color your grey mare was before she turned grey? Also do you know what colors her parents were?

Guaranteed Gold is a double carrier of the cream gene, so he's going to give a cream gene to any foal, hence the Guaranteed part of his name.

If your grey mare has one solid parent then she's got one copy of the grey gene and will give that 50% of the time.

If the mare is chestnut + grey you could get a palomino, or a palomino that will grey out and be ivory colored for a while, then white.

If the mare is bay + grey, you could get a buckskin, or a buckskin that will grey out to white.

As the the other mare, is she a TB? I'd love to see a photo since the gold colored eyes are unusual.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:53 am

gray mare name is irona and both her parents were gray or roan.the mare with yellow eyes is a vice regent who also had yellow eyes.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:26 am

Both irona parents carry one copy of the grey gene. Irona has a 1 in four chance of having two copies of the grey gene. If she has ever had a non-grey foal she's got one copy.

If she has two copies of the grey gene, all her foals are going to turn grey.
If you are trying to breed for dilute colors, this mare might not be the best bet. It would be a shame to have a wonderful palomino foal that turned white.

Could you give me the name of the bay mare?

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:39 pm

Irona has never been bred.i took her because she has the most perfect conformation i ever saw.i do not care who you are but you cannot fault her(i have judged on the line and halter)...and she moved like silk and was very fast and agile like a cat..she had been so abused that even today you cannot raise your voice without her flipping,i am not really keeping her as a broodmare but mostly because who will want her?she is so paranoid and afraid of humans,she is even plain nasty to be around...the other mare is old,i rescued her too she even was on the news as a young horse for that.Her name is Brin d'Acier.She once had a foal in Florida and the lady there called at foaling telling us she had a buckskin fillie(she turned dark bay later),her sire was chestnut and her mom brown.she is kind of light yellow bay and she does have a dorsal stripe and yellow eyes,all her foals so far have been their sire copycat and color.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:11 pm

Good for you for taking in a couple of mares with issues. As for breeding her, to a double dilute stallion, is that most color breeders don't like to breed to greys. This is purely a color concern, and has nothing to do with conformation, soundness, movement, or any other reason to breed or not breed. I'm sure she's lovely from your description.

As for the bay, it might be interesting to get her color tested, and see if she carries the cream gene. If she does, she might be valuable for some of the folks who are breeding golden TB's.
Right now there are two sources of the gene -Milkie and Glitter Man. Having a third line might be very welcome.

Good luck to you and your rescued ladies.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:12 pm

i would not breed her(the gray) to a dilute since your answer,i just did not know...How do you get that other mare tested?...i am in Quebec Canada...

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:45 pm

http://www.petdnaservicesaz.com/Equine.html

I think these folks are the only ones that offer a test for brown.

UC Davis also does color testing.

The process is pretty simple, order the kit, pull mane hair making sure that you get roots, mail the sample with payment, and they run the test and send you a report.

You might google Horse color testing canada, and see if there are any labs that do the testing in your area.