blue eyes

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

walaa
Starters Handicap

blue eyes

Postby walaa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:21 pm

So when you have 2 horses, without blue eyes, how does the baby get blue eyes? just curious about the genetics. I have a friend with a paint stud, chesnut/white, brown eyes, NOT homozygous, 1 baby there now is a dark chestnut with brown eyes. maybe a sock or something, out of a registered solid paint mare with little white, 1 blue eye. Then, solid dk br/blk mare, loud colored foal, almost all white, with little black on flanks, head, 1 blue eye, half blue eye. Then, arab/paint mare, solid white, if wet you can see paint markings on her skin, brown eyes, loud chestnut/white filly 2 weeks ago, 1 blue eye, 1 half blue eye. SSOOOO cute, I took pics will post later if I can figure out how. So the 2 babies out of dams with no blue eyes and little coloring are loud, with more than 50% blue eyes. But then the mare with 1 blue eye throws the solid color foal with 2 brown eyes :? They arent T-breds, but they are so cute:)

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:39 pm

Has to do with the pinto pattern the parents would have. Splash overo would give blue eyes as would frame overo. But those are the only two.