Jorge, a question for you

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Jorge, a question for you

Postby Skipitgirl » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:05 am

I have a 3/4 TB mare. She is solid chestnut except for her skunk tail, no other white. She is by Da White Judge (confirmed sabino) out of a mare by Yarneltown Native. Any possibilities I could be surprised with a sabino foal someday? LOL! Just curious. Thanks!

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Well, lets see this picture. First, having an ordinary solid color equine with a skunk tail is a little more auspicious than having him without the skunk tail. Second, being by Da White Judge is more auspicious than not being by him. Third, although the sabino pattern is a great fooler, when a pair of conservatively mates are crossed the odds of achieving a flamboyant foal are greatly reduced. For this reason I wouldn't expect a flamboyant foal if both parents are conservatively marked. On the other hand, if you cross her with a flamboyant horse then the odds are greatly improved because her gene pool will then be very helpful to the sire. In synthesis, conservatively marked mares (and sires) with some sabino influence need significant "assistance" from their mates than the flamboyant ones.
But again, since the sabino pattern is a great fooler don't discard anything but dont lean too much on it.

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:27 pm

Thank you. Forgot to mention that she is currently bred to our AQHA stallion who is a red roan with 3 stockings and a blaze. I guess Im just hoping the foal isnt solid chestnut. LOL!