Training to arm wrestle the Jockey Club into submission ...

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Sunday Silence

Postby Sunday Silence » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:20 pm

Here's another good example of a black horse. I didn't have time to hunt down any closeup shots of a black TB. But it's just to illustrate the difference betwwen what is black and what appears black..

http://www.sapphirefarms.com/scottsdalephotos.htm

Jenny
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Jenny » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:04 pm

Summer horse.
Her name is Rsocialbutterfly. I sold her in the winter of last year. The people who have her adore her. She raced but never ran very well. She tried her heart out but her legs could just not keep up.

Nice pics Sunday Silence. Very shiny, lovely looking boy. My first horse was a gray Arabian gelding by Gai Parada. I still have him, he is 20 yrs old now.

Sunday Silence

Postby Sunday Silence » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:40 pm

Gai Parada! That's awesome! And Rsocialbutterfly is gorgeous.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:59 pm

There was a link to the official gray paper, with a pretty nice explanation of the genetics of the color.

In short the gray gene causes the pigment producing cells to speed up production. This caused more color, so a light bay appears dark bay or black, then the cells ---wear out---for want of a better description. As they begin to fail they produce less pigment till they are producing no pigment at all.

Neat.

Sunday Silence

Postby Sunday Silence » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:07 pm

Color sure is interesting!

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Postby Nessa » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:19 pm

xfactor fan wrote:There was a link to the official gray paper, with a pretty nice explanation of the genetics of the color.

In short the gray gene causes the pigment producing cells to speed up production. This caused more color, so a light bay appears dark bay or black, then the cells ---wear out---for want of a better description. As they begin to fail they produce less pigment till they are producing no pigment at all.

Neat.

That actually makes sense, the cells use up all of their pigment too quickly and the hair ends up colorless. Cool!
Nu