Splash tb???

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Splash tb???

Postby Derby Lyn » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:41 pm

or overo? Where did his color come from?
[img][img]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/arcticcielo/splash.jpg[/img][/img]

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:19 pm

A BIG WOW. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS VALUABLE WATCH

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:09 pm

Definite splash, wow! Splash exists in the TB at a low level either because the gene pool lacks something to bring out a true body splash (because of early color prejudice against "impure" pinto markings and blue eyes) OR they have been selected against so long that there are more genes that prevent it's expression than permit it. Until someone makes an effort to breed more of these they will continue to show up as minimally marked or in combination with frame or sabino pintos. Right now the "splash gene" (or genes) is pretty scattered in the TB gene pool.

The Arabian breed has a similar "problem" I guess you could call it with splash but now that some people are actively breeding for it they are already seeing body marked horses showing up although still more minmal (body spots versus patches and large white areas that cover say half the horse!). yet the Morgan who had an even more limited splash white gene pool managed to already produce a full body splash. So that is my thinking (theorizing) that in the TB and Arab something else is at work if only because the prejudice has been in affect so much longer in TBs and Arabs vs. about 50 years or so in Morgans.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.