Darley Arabian White spot

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks for posting the photo of the filly, she's a nice example of a very dark buckskin.

I'm actually on the yes, there is the dilute gene in the TB population, not the fence jumper side.

The only reason I asked about the sire of the palomino mare, is that he's a grey, and there's no telling what is hiding under that coat. Couldn't find any info on other foals from the same sire.

I wonder if some of the horses registered as brown are really smokey blacks.

Thanks to both of you for posting the photos.

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:29 pm

Combine the tendency for TBs to have a lot of sooty plus a lot of dark bay and browns and it is pretty easy for the cream gene to have sneaked down through the pedigree without being noticed much. Then add the thing from WAY back where they started calling them bay and chestnut (or brown and black) and throw a few greys on top... So far I have been able to trace every known palomino/buckskin line through the dam's bottom line to Darcy's Yellow Turk. One went way back and then zigged up to a sire (still on the bottom) to DYT.

ANy horse from the middle east back then was called "Arabian" regardless of it's breeding. So you have a lot of Turk, Akhal Teke, Barb, crossbred horses being called "arabians".
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:24 pm

Or they were called Arabian because you could charge a highter stud fee. That is apparently one of the things going on with the Godolphin Arabian.

Have you checked out Easy n Gold?

Linda_d
Starters Handicap

Postby Linda_d » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:51 am

summerhorse wrote:Combine the tendency for TBs to have a lot of sooty plus a lot of dark bay and browns and it is pretty easy for the cream gene to have sneaked down through the pedigree without being noticed much. Then add the thing from WAY back where they started calling them bay and chestnut (or brown and black) and throw a few greys on top... So far I have been able to trace every known palomino/buckskin line through the dam's bottom line to Darcy's Yellow Turk. One went way back and then zigged up to a sire (still on the bottom) to DYT.

ANy horse from the middle east back then was called "Arabian" regardless of it's breeding. So you have a lot of Turk, Akhal Teke, Barb, crossbred horses being called "arabians".

Good points, summerhorse. I will also add that up until relatively recently (40/50 years), there was a lot of prejudice against palomino/light buckskin horses among many AQHA breeders. There are many horses in the early AQHA studbooks that are listed as "dun" or "brown" that have been proven by pictures and/or produce to be palominos or buckskins. I suspect that there probably was a similar prejudice against dilutes among TB breeders.

It's entirely conceivable to me that an old time TB breeder who found himself with a palomino or buckskin foal he couldn't claim as "chestnut" or "bay" was only too willing to claim it the result of a "fence jumper" breeding rather than call the "purity" of his breeding stock into question.

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:21 pm

xfactor fan wrote:Or they were called Arabian because you could charge a highter stud fee. That is apparently one of the things going on with the Godolphin Arabian.

Have you checked out Easy n Gold?

Good point there. Easy N Gold is a chestnut right? Can't find a pic.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:31 pm

Easy n' Gold is something. She's either a palomino. or the lightest chestnut I've ever seen.

Check back tomorrow I'll get a photo posted.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:23 pm

http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10040943

Here's a photo of Easy'n Gold