New Red (e) gene

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

New Red (e) gene

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:20 am

Learned something new today. Apparently there are two versions of the red base coat color, the regular one (e) that everyone can test for plus another one that tests as E. Was first found in Black Forest Ponies.

UC Davis has "tweaked" their test so they don't get false positives on E.

Also the debate continues about the Agouti (bay) variations. Someone has apparently found the Brown gene, and at first they thought it was close to Agouti, but now they are saying it is part of Agouti. Which brings back the At nomenclature.

As of right now there seem to be four recognized version of Agouti.

Agouti A Bay
Agouti A Wild Bay (forgot what the notation for this one is)
Agouti a Black
Agouti At Brown.

The soap opera continues.

RiddleMeThis
Allowance Winner

Postby RiddleMeThis » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:43 am

A+ is wild. Do you post on EC, or still just lurking?

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:51 am

Used to post, but there was a computer glitch and the forum person or at least didn't re-instate. Is she back on the job now? I do enjoy that forum.

RiddleMeThis
Allowance Winner

Postby RiddleMeThis » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:59 am

She gets on occasionally, though I dont remember the last time she was on. Probably at least a month ago. I had been waiting for over a year to get on that board, got on when anyone could create an account and the board was flooded with spam, then got kicked off again when the admin came back, and luckily had people asking for me to get back on and was lucky enough that admin signed in and got me reinstated along with a few others. I post on there as RiddleMeThis as well, though I think it may be Riddle-Me-This.