Darley Arabian White spot

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Darley Arabian White spot

Postby xfactor fan » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:08 am

Jorge,

There's a book up on Thoroughbreds listed on eBay right now that features a color plate of the Darley Arabian. Can't make out the artist, but the horse is shown as a bay, three white socks and a large irregular white mark on his withers.

Did a quick look for other paintings of the Darley Arabian, and they all show the bay/three white socks, but no white spot.

If this is an accurate painting, the whole white spot/sabino thing goes way, way back.

Also do you collect photos of the horses you study?

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:56 am

Thanks for the watch. Will search for the reference and will cite it just to be sure it is the correct one. Great!

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:17 am

Search and found several photos to no avail. There is one with some sort of white marking on top of the saddle area but it looks like a white piece of cloth or some kind of white leather. Can you cite the link?

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:47 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/THOROUGHBRED-RACING ... otohosting

Try here. Click on the image (two horses) to see larger images, and the one with the Darley Arabian shows up. The marking on this painting looks sort of like a running cross.

Hope this helps.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Thats precisely the white marking I was pondering on. Other angles I have seen omit this...er "marking"?
Lets see if other comments are posted.
Thank you so much.

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Postby Nessa » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:28 pm

Here is a link to the same painting and it gives the painter as John Wootton.
http//: www.georgianindex.net/Sport/Horse/racers.html
Nu

color
Allowance Winner

Postby color » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:49 pm

and the son Flying Childers is definitely a Sabino too. Maybe they have left the marking off on other paintings/pictures to make the horse look more perfect....

here is a Morgan site and there are pictures too of the three basic stallions:
http://www.lambertmorgans.com/Amanda%20 ... 0LINE.html

I would think the Lady Wentworth would be quite correct.
http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabs

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:21 am

Have you read King of the Wind by Margurite Henry? Very telling :wink:

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:24 am

Actually I was thinking along the lines of
Bright Bay, white spot, this shows up in Northern Dancer line horses every once in a while. The latest one is Big Brown with his "Go button"

color
Allowance Winner

Postby color » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:24 am

I do not know the book King of the wind, what is very telling in that and what is it about?
http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com

Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabs

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:46 pm

King of the Wind is a fiction version of the life of the Godolphin Arabian written by Margurite Henry. Very romantic version of the basic story told from the point of view of his "groom" a young mute man who is with the horse till he dies. Basicaly a kids book, Margurite Henry wrote a whole series of kids horse books, including: Black Gold, Misty, San Domingo : The Medicine Hat Stallion, Born to Trot, Justin Morgan.

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:51 am

THe book makes reference to the white mark. Of course this is if Im remembering it correctly after 30 years LOL!

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:57 am

http://www.bloodlines.net/TB/Bios/DarleyArabian.htm

Hi Guys
The link above shows the same image that is posted already but on a different site.
There is also a Horse that was painted by George Stubbs Expo that I went to at The National Gallery in London in 2005 showing the Lord Grosvenors Arabian Stallion this horse also has very high white legs jagged marked up to the thigh and very long broad white blaze with the phenotype pink lips and white under jaw.
can be seen on my web site under coloured thoroughbred breeders assocation I have found many pictures of sabino's to illistrate the various genes I have been to liverpool to the Walker Art Gallery were we met the Archivist and privately photographed King Georges TB coloured a Skewbald Stallion with two others in the background.[/url]
A coloured leaving its mark
Angrove stud breeding your racing colours

I am dyslexic it can be funny!

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:17 am

Without looking it up--and of course I should--Wasn't the white mark on the Godolphin Arabian a small white mark on the heel? The painting in question is of the Darley Arabian showing a bay with a large white spot high on the shoulder.

SouthernStar
Yearling

Postby SouthernStar » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:29 pm

The "white mark" was on the heel of the colt Sham. The book refers to the Godolphin Arabian, not certain if that stallion had the white mark as well.
I still have the book 25 Anniversary Edition, I remember it being my favorite as a child.