are we all using the same definition for black?

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

RiddleMeThis
Allowance Winner

Postby RiddleMeThis » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:53 pm

SouthernStar wrote:I am actually wondering aloud if the horses that are black year round are EE and the horses that fade are Ee?
Highly doubtful. Some of the worst fading blacks Ive seen have been EE.
I really think the only way to know for certain a horse is black is to test it. And, I don't think the JC really cares what color the horse is to go to that extreme.
Completely agree.

BlazingColours
Allowance Winner

Postby BlazingColours » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:37 am

Agree SouthernStar about those magical sticks :lol: I am unlucky and bought one of the "regular" ones.

I do not test all my horses to know the extensions of all their colours. I have two horses I would consider black. A TB mare (Maika My Dinner)

http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com/maikamydinner.html
The first group of photos of her are in August after a really hot summer and she is faded. The second set of photos is from September after a much cooler/wet summer. A big difference. Her muzzle does not bleach out but her body does. What do you guys think?

and a pinto stallion (Arts Aero). http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com/Artsaero.htm He will fade only in the flank area if out in the hot sun a lot.
Living life for the journey, not the destination.
Join us on FACEBOOK

Linda_d
Starters Handicap

Postby Linda_d » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:37 am

The sporthorse TB stallion, Sea Accounts, is registered as brown/dark bay but he definitely looks black ...

http://www.debracysporthorses.com/DeBracy_Sport_Horses/Sea_Accounts_Albums/Sea_Accounts_Albums.html

Sunday Silence

Postby Sunday Silence » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:29 am

Maika is stunningly beautiful! I like that photo of her!

Sunday Silence

Postby Sunday Silence » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:50 am

Six Perfections, winner of the BC Mile, was a rare true black. She even has a custom made Breyer model made after her. See near bottom of page:

http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/tb ... llies.html

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:23 am

Ok, I have another question...

Am I wrong in assuming that you would want a Black horse in the hopes of producing/getting more black horses.

If that is the case, we have two examples. Prince Stanley, the TRUE black got many black foals. (Note: I was always taught that stallions can't produce; mares produce and stallions get)

On the other hand, the stallion Sanctuary, who is listed as homozygous for black, registered dark bay by the JC, and listed as black by his owner, has never gotten a single black foal (at least on the database here)

I'm making a sweeping generalization here, but it would appear that the true black horse is capable of getting other blacks.

And the other sweeping generalization.... if the horse looks dark bay and has those darn brown noses and places... doesn't matter if he has been genetically tested homozygous for not getting reds.... there are no blacks.

good lord, my wandering mind at 2:22 am.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:40 am

It occurs to me to re-frame the question as we aren't going to agree on the definiton of black.

Let me ask, then, if you're going to call all these horse black because genetically they're what you define as black (although that sounds to me like they just don't throw red ), what do you call the black that I'm looking for.

Let me rephrase... there must be someway to distinguish the black of a Sunday Silence/Halo/Santuary as opposed to the black of a Prince Stanley. (I'm going to guess you'll tell me something about fading or smutty or .....)

And then, how do you selectively breed for that true black? In looking at Prince Stanley's pedigree, it is not apparent to me where his blackness comes from. And yet, many of his foals were actually registered as blacks. He clearly then is a known getter (yes, that does sound funny) of blacks.

RiddleMeThis
Allowance Winner

Postby RiddleMeThis » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:02 am

springboro wrote:Let me ask, then, if you're going to call all these horse black because genetically they're what you define as black (although that sounds to me like they just don't throw red ), what do you call the black that I'm looking for.
Black. There is no difference. Just like a redder bay is the same a a darker bay, though not the same as brown. Ee can be black and still throw red, and Im not sure what you mean by just dont throw red.
there must be someway to distinguish the black of a Sunday Silence/Halo/Santuary as opposed to the black of a Prince Stanley. (I'm going to guess you'll tell me something about fading or smutty or .....)
Its just black. If you truly need to differentiate black and fading black. But they are both true black.

And then, how do you selectively breed for that true black? In looking at Prince Stanley's pedigree, it is not apparent to me where his blackness comes from. And yet, many of his foals were actually registered as blacks. He clearly then is a known getter (yes, that does sound funny) of blacks.
You cant selectively breed for true blacks. Some horses fade some horses dont. Ive seen fading blacks produce a black and blacks produce fading blacks. It would stand to reason that if you breed black to black you stand a better chance at getting black but that is not always the case, nor would I say its the norm.

As far as where Prince Stanleys black came from both of his parents are black based. Both passed "a" and one or both passed "E." You dont need two blacks to produce a black. You can get black from any number of combination's.

I'm making a sweeping generalization here, but it would appear that the true black horse is capable of getting other blacks.
So can fading blacks. So can bays. So can buckskins. So can bay roans etc etc etc etc.

And the other sweeping generalization.... if the horse looks dark bay and has those darn brown noses and places... doesn't matter if he has been genetically tested homozygous for not getting reds.... there are no blacks.
What?!

ETA:Just curious, not a TB but would you call this horse black?
Last edited by RiddleMeThis on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SouthernStar
Yearling

Postby SouthernStar » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:05 am

We have tested most of our mares as we were curious about their agouti status. One of our supposed black mares was indeed bay thankfully not a TB mare. My friend if of the opinion that if she owns the mare then it's AA :lol:
If you are breeding for black and you are uncertain about sire and dam then have them tested. Since a horse can be homozygous for black and still be bay EE/AA or EE/Aa the only thing you can be certain of is no chestnut foals. A chestnut horse can be homozygous agouti as well ee/AA and never be able to produce a black horse.
Might just be that Sanctuary was either not really black, or he just got bred to mares that couldn't produce black. OR he did sire black foals and they are listed incorrectly?
It was explained to me that a TRUE black horse is rare due to the fact that all horses are technically bay (agouti) and to be black the agouti gene is defective. I am sure someone can explain that one more correctly.
www.FreedomSporthorses.com
Standing the Thoroughbred stallion Regal Regalia-chestnut frame overo

RiddleMeThis
Allowance Winner

Postby RiddleMeThis » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:07 am

SouthernStar wrote:It was explained to me that a TRUE black horse is rare due to the fact that all horses are technically bay (agouti) and to be black the agouti gene is defective. I am sure someone can explain that one more correctly.
Agouti "A" is very common. However to be black the agouti is NOT defective so to say. "a" is a mutation of the agouti gene. "A" limits the black pigment to the points and "a" doesnt.

BlazingColours
Allowance Winner

Postby BlazingColours » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:59 am

RiddleMeThis wrote:
springboro wrote:Let me ask, then, if you're going to call all these horse black because genetically they're what you define as black (although that sounds to me like they just don't throw red ), what do you call the black that I'm looking for.
Black. There is no difference. Just like a redder bay is the same a a darker bay, though not the same as brown. Ee can be black and still throw red, and Im not sure what you mean by just dont throw red.

I thought the same thing. There is dark bay, bright bay, light bay. So why can't there be a true black/dark black, a black that fades a bit, then a black that really fades. I guess the hard part is to be able to tell the difference between a faded black and a dark bay just by looking at them.

My mare Miaka My Dinner has thrown one black filly (sire was a black and white, ) and one bay filly (sire a palomino and white) and one buckskin filly (sire palomino and white).

And I agree with SouthernStar... that you may see not black foals listed by black stallions because they were not registered as the right colour. It happens all the time with the JC.

Join us on FACEBOOK

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:51 am

ETA:Just curious, not a TB but would you call this horse black?
Image[/quote]

He's got a brown nose.... he's dark bay. IF he were a TB, he'd be dark bay. I'm sticking to the Jockey Club definitions.

RiddleMeThis
Allowance Winner

Postby RiddleMeThis » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:37 am

springboro wrote:He's got a brown nose.... he's dark bay. IF he were a TB, he'd be dark bay. I'm sticking to the Jockey Club definitions.
Hes not black OR bay. Hes chestnut.
Last edited by RiddleMeThis on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:29 am

Leaving the red/black coat gene out of the discussion (E,and E) There may be several genes living at the Agouti locus.

The ones that are known are Bay, Wild Bay, Brown and Black. There very well may be variations within black, variations within brown, we know there are two versions of Bay. There may be slight variations within the regular bay gene.

So to breed a particular shade of black--lets say Raven Black--you would need to select against all of the bay versions of Agouti. Then select against all animals that showed brown or fading. Which should leave just animals that show the desired version of black.

BlazingColours
Allowance Winner

Postby BlazingColours » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:02 pm

RiddleMeThis wrote:
springboro wrote:He's got a brown nose.... he's dark bay. IF he were a TB, he'd be dark bay. I'm sticking to the Jockey Club definitions.
Hes not black OR bay. Hes chestnut.

Really???? You must be kidding.

Join us on FACEBOOK