Who is the tallest Palomino or Buckskin thoroughbred at stud

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

SouthernStar
Yearling

Postby SouthernStar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:29 am

xfactor fan wrote:Anyone tracking other offspring of Lucky Two Bits? (Dam of Glitter Please) There is a 1995 colt from Lemon Bits, and a 2001 mare Lil Bit of Honey both registred as palomino.

There's also at least a couple of other dilute offspring from Lucky Two Bits.

Might be worth tracking down as a bit of an outcross to the Milkie/Glitter Please crosses going on.

If I remember correctly it was Intents Two Bits who produced a palomino mare that was bred with a Trakehner... so there is a Trakehner mare out there I saw for sale.
I would be interested to see if there are any other breeding horses out there right now as well, but I never found anything when I searched.

Another thing I noticed, how many breeders are breeding two year old fillies and colts? Since there are a couple two year olds standing...I would think maybe a test breed but standing as a stallion???
www.FreedomSporthorses.com
Standing the Thoroughbred stallion Regal Regalia-chestnut frame overo

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:01 am

I think someone has updated the info on Lucky Two Bits, adding a couple of generations. I'd looked at the pedigree a couple of years ago trying to see where the dilute might have come from, and don't remember seeing any grandkids beyond Glitter Please.

You might want to take a look as there seem to be a some breeders listed now.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:17 am

"Another thing I noticed, how many breeders are breeding two year old fillies and colts? Since there are a couple two year olds standing...I would think maybe a test breed but standing as a stallion???"

REED HILL FARM has darn sure earned the right to breed a stallion or a filly at the age of two. There are a small few of you who actually know who Harry and I are, our disabilities, strengths, back rounds, or goals. When I was growing up I was always taught not to judge people I don't know. I try very hard to stay open minded and accepting of how, many dilute breeders have actually gotten into the business and why they picked the individual stallion they did for breeding. Try judging someone for their hark work and dedication to breeding a high quality salable animal that will stand up to today's scrutinizing buyers that want it "all" in a horse, not just color. Our young stock will prove our young stallions qualities were chosen for the whole package, not just for the wrapper.

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:43 am

Another thing I noticed, how many breeders are breeding two year old fillies and colts? Since there are a couple two year olds standing...I would think maybe a test breed but standing as a stallion???

I just LOVE when this question comes up on various boards and all sorts of people come on - aghasted - and say things like "Its like getting a 12 year old girl pregnant!" "Its awful!" "It shouldnt be done!" but my all time favorite is "IT STUNTS THEIR GROWTH!!!" :wink:

Texas A&M runs a repro course and the prof ALWAYS asks this question - should you breed 2 year olds and he ALWAYS gets the above comments plus more and I'm sure its the same at every repro course across North America as well ...

NONE of the students can say WHY they should not be bred at 2 - only that they SHOULDNT be. No physical reasons, no biological reasons. It just "isnt right" in their eyes ... ;)

he then goes on to say that as long as the owner realizes in the case of the fillies, that they are feeding a still growing 2 year old as WELL as the growing fetus and they feed them accordingly, everything should be fine - there will be no "stunted growth" occuring

One breeder friend that I know quite well has bred maybe 30-40-50 of her 2 year old mares with NO bad foalings. NO rejections of the foal, NO adverse lack of growth in the mare herself - nothing of the sort - so why shouldnt she continue to do so? Because a bunch of people say "it isnt right???"

We made the decision to breed my Pearlescent mare as a 2 year old. The vet cautioned me that no matter how mature she looked, how mature she acted, how super the semen was and how wonderful the timing was, if she wasnt physiologically ready to conceive and carry a foal, nothing we did was going to make one bit of difference - she either would conceive and carry or she wouldnt. That simple ...

She caught on the 2nd cycle, she is flipping HUGE right now at about 16.2hh and as solid as a Hanoverian. "Stunted growth" is the LAST thing you think of when you look at this mare. To be quite honest I DO hope her growth "stunts" right about now - she doesnt need to get any bigger! :)

We also intend to breed Remember My Name this year as a 2 year old colt. He is showing excellent libido, a lot of interest in the girls and is a well mannered and well adjusted colt that understands the parameters we ask him to operate under. We will definately limit the Live Covers on him this year - 2 would be ideal as a maximum number - and he will be trained to the phantom and we will free up more shipped semen breedings instead. For him to understand his job as a breeding stallion will be very very easy and we intend to proceed at a pace that he is comfortable with and then back off if he seems overwhelmed. We also have a provision in his breeding contract that if he is unable to fulfill his obligations as a breeding stallion in 2009 to contracted mares, the Mare Owner has the right to get their money back or have their mares bred to Guaranteed Gold instead at the same lower introductory price. So - win/win for all concerned

Once Remember My Name leaves North America at the end of 2009, he will begin getting prepped for the European WB inspections they intend to take him to in 2010 as a 3 year old and they will begin to determine what show career he is destined for, so the intention with him is to show him as well as breed him, not breed him INSTEAD of showing him

A friend of mine has a 2 year old colt as well that she wants to do some breedings with year. He is hesitant and shy and even when confronted with a mare who is heavily in season and squatting and peeing her brains out 2 feet away from him, he does not drop, he shows no interest whatsoever in her let alone does he appear to have a clue what that squatting and peeing means in the grand scheme of things. IMO - to try and push that particular colt into a breeding career at this age, would be a HUGE mistake on their part and I have told them so. All it will do is back him off even more and possibly set him up as being a problem and shy breeder for the rest of his life so they are wisely sitting back and waiting now until HE tells THEM that he is ready for the next stage of his life ...

The wise breeders critically analyze their 2 year old colts and fillies and if they can honestly look at them and know that putting them into the breeding shed at this age is a smart thing to do because they are mentally and physically READY, it usually works out just fine. Its when they look at them and say "well ... they are sort of somewhat kinda ready - lets try anyhow" that it is totally wrong, IMO, to try and force them to mature too early

My 2 cents worth over and done with now ... ;)

And I purchased the Brass Monkey mare from Madelyn several years ago and then I sold her to Flying Colours Farm
Last edited by TrueColours on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

BlazingColours
Allowance Winner

Postby BlazingColours » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:46 am

This is not a slam on any particular breeder but I am also one who thinks a two year old should NOT be bred. We are entitled to our own opinions, and that is mine.

Our young palomino and white stallion, Cloud Ten, did not breed at two, bred 3 mares at 3, and now as a 4 year old will be breeding and collecting on a regular schedule. To me horses do need to be broke out and if nothing else, just to see how ridable they are, though with my horses they do head out to the show ring. We plan on putting all our young stallions through several years of competition. True that some horses have more value in the breeding shed but that is not ALL they should be doing. Mares should at least be broke out and make sure they are what you want to produce in a riding horse. Breeders should not be breeding horses just so they have more mares to breed. IMO.

I also have a, now three year old, cremello Thoroughbred filly, that was born here. She was NOT bred at two and will NOT be bred at three EITHER! She is being started under saddle now and she is aimed for a few hack classes this summer and fall. She may be bred as a four year old or may stay in the show ring, depending on what other young horses I have showing.

Though not a TB example but since I have had Mirabeau the longest I can share what I do with his kids to make sure they will hit the show ring. Personally I have had about 40 foals by him born here on my farm. I have sold several as foals and yearlings. I then keep some to break out and train myself. I have two 5 year old mares, one 4 year old mare, two 3 year old mares, two 2 year old mares and none of them will be bred. They are either broke or going to be over the next couple years as they mature. I will put the first show miles on them and then sell them off as competition horses. I have a few TB mares as well that were born here and I do the same with them.

And Brass Monkey was sold to Flying Colours Farm by True Colours Farm.
Living life for the journey, not the destination.
Join us on FACEBOOK

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:38 am

reedhill wrote:By the way, would you like me to take it off my website. I sure didn't want to step on your toes by using it, I had no idea it was not theirs?

Oh no - but it would be courtesy of River Run Farm.

I sold Brass Monkey when she first came straight off the race track. That was her sale photo.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:38 am

And I purchased the Brass Monkey mare from Madelyn several years ago and then I sold her to Flying Colours Farm

OHHH, OK, THANK YOU FOR CLARIFYING TRUE COLORS. AND THANK YOU MADELYN FOR LETTING ME KEEP IT ON MY SITE! VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, WILL CHANGE THE PHOTO CREDIT. :wink:

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:52 pm

xfactor fan wrote:I think someone has updated the info on Lucky Two Bits, adding a couple of generations. I'd looked at the pedigree a couple of years ago trying to see where the dilute might have come from . . .

I tried to trace Milkie's dam & Lucky Two Bits ancestors, looking for something in common amongst the unknowns - figuring the better know horses would have been noticed, had they been dilute. The closest I've found was an 1846 mare named Heraldry & registered as chestnut. She is from family A1.

I think it is as likely to be a coincidence as a common source of dilute, but you never know . . .

SouthernStar
Yearling

Postby SouthernStar » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:32 am

reedhill wrote:REED HILL FARM has darn sure earned the right to breed a stallion or a filly at the age of two. Our young stock will prove our young stallions qualities were chosen for the whole package, not just for the wrapper.

Reed Hill, I hope you don't feel I was pinpointing you as the reason for my question as I do not know you. I am not sure what you mean by earned the right...
What a breeder chooses to do with their horses is their business, if you want to breed youngsters then it is your right. I personally would not breed a horse younger than three as I do not feel they are mature enough physically and mentally, but that is my opinion.
www.FreedomSporthorses.com

Standing the Thoroughbred stallion Regal Regalia-chestnut frame overo

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:40 pm

This is the trakehner mare out of Intent Two Bits http://superiorhorse.net/iris.html