TV stars in the making

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

TV stars in the making

Postby angrovestud » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:56 pm

Above is a photo of Three 7/8ths Tbs to have made history in the UK
They are all out of Angrove dance Girl by Ricco these two parents are heterozygous Tobiano.
Above Ricco National performance Horse 2004 Grade C BSAJ Showjumper before we retired him to stud
we have bred three foals in a row which are Homozygous for Tobiano.
these three progeny have just finished filming a TV programme to go in the Autumn in England about coloured horses racing.
the three youngsters are grandchildren of Sarahs pride the Showjumping Star that was sold to the USA for 1 Million Dollars.
All three were real stars for the film crew and behaved like old troupers
Sarahs Pride in Action now lives in CA and he is Pure TB.

below the siblings sire and dam

A letter from the lab to confrim what we have achieved.
Dear Heather

Congratulatons on your recent run of horse DNA test colour results. As you are aware, the Tobiano Homozygous horse is a highly desirable breeding specimen, it has inherited the Tobiano gene and coat pattern from both parents, and therefore when bred is guaranteed to produce 100% Tobiano patterned foals (Piebald or Skewbald) regardless of the mate.

Although the Tobiano Homozygous horse is not massively rare, it is indeed sought after and often purpose bred. The case of your test results are however slightly more special, when two NON Homozygous horses are bred together, such as the parents of your foals, the offspring only have a 25% chance of being Homozygous themselves. It was a stroke of fortune that this happened just once, to happen twice in a row was certainly unsual, but to happen three times really is extraordinary. The likelihood of this happening three times was 1.56%.

In simple terms, the odds of your non-Homozygous horses to breed three out of three true-breeding coloured foals, in a row, were 1 in 64.

Thanks again for submitting the samples, and please feel free to contact us if you have any further queries.

Best Wishes

Dan Reeves
Animal Genetics UK
Last edited by angrovestud on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
A coloured leaving its mark
Angrove stud breeding your racing colours

I am dyslexic it can be funny!

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:55 pm

That is totally cool angrove!! Congrats! They are beautiful!
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:03 am

Thanks Spex4me
I am really glad you like them we are on the home pages of Three top web sites in the UK so its gone to the trios heads a bit.
:D

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:07 pm

Oh Forgot to say that with the Homozygous Tobiano we can keep our colour in our racehorses as the tobiano gene is predictive and is passed on 50% of the time, at the moment we could not sell a TB for racing to the USA or anywhere else but The Uk and Ireland were we have National Hunt racing, but in 6 more generations we can get into the GSB with Weatherbys and have fully registered Horse's that will pass their colour Tobiano to future Generations and they will be eligable to race anywhere in the world Thats why The film crew came to film our Horses, as we are well on the way to making this happen,
Quiet Ironic really as Racing was Started in England by the Landed Gentry.
And as my Husband family won the Northumberland Plate back in eighteen hundred's in the North of England, we live not far away in Yorkshire, The start of racing's History we intend to change it English Colour pattens and breed another Kitching winner.

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:33 am

1 TV star was sold last friday to the Chicken Ranch Stud.
he will appear on the UK tv BBC in the Autumn we will miss this special little chap.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:01 pm

Fascinating topic Angrovestud. Would really like to read more on specific successful 7/8th racing stories. Thanks again for sharing this case(s).

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:08 am

Thanks Jorge
We have also bred a 7/8th tobiano colt out of a Dr Fong daughter out of a danehill mare she is a race placed mare she has won $3200 or there abouts, the Colt is called Angrove Rum BaBa and we intend to race him our farrier who is a trainer Champion amateur trainer in 07 now proffesional, loved him from the moment he saw him, so we will break him here and then see what hes made of he can beat his dam across the fields and shes fast.
this is him as a baby.

and then at 9 months

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:20 pm

I keep getting confused when i see 7/8 thoroughbred. In the USA... that's a grade horse which isn't registerable. Do you get to advertize these as thoroughbreds in Britain?

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:40 pm

Something similar happened in France during the 1970s. The great breeder, Madame Elizsabeth Couturie (owner of Right Royal), who was particularly interested in developing a line of homozygous whites from Mont Blanc II (white H 1963) first bred her blue-eyed gray pony mare Fanny to Mont Blanc and got a white equine. She continued breeding Mont Blanc with Fanny's lineage in order to ultimately improve the chances of achieving a competitive white runner and race him officially in certain events. Unfortunately, she passed away and the project never materialized. But in France it was possible to achieve it. I don't know today.

RiddleMeThis
Allowance Winner

Postby RiddleMeThis » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:58 pm

springboro wrote:I keep getting confused when i see 7/8 thoroughbred. In the USA... that's a grade horse which isn't registerable. Do you get to advertize these as thoroughbreds in Britain?

Actually in the US most are registerable depending on what that 1/8. You could have it registered WB is that other 1/8 is an approved warmblood. You can have it registered AQHA or APHA or ApHC. And I believe some others as well.

I believe these 7/8 TBs ARE allowed to be registered with the stud book in the non TB register, and then after a certain amount of generations (8 I believe) they get considered full TB. But Im not 100% sure how that works so I am sure some one from there could explain it better.

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:02 am

RiddleMeThis is quiet right they can be registered in the General stud book after the 7ths generation so this would be the 8th.
our progeny from our foundation stallion Ricco V11 meaning 7 out of Angrove Dance girl V11 can race for instance we could enter any of our foals when they are 4 years in Bumpers for the flat or send then hurdling.
If one was a brave stayer we could breed for our Grand National this is where we are aiming at as in our bloodline we have Gunner B the sire of Red maurader who won the GN in 2001 forrest Gunner royal gait and a family friend of my husband bred Gunner welburn, all these horses were champion chasers.

Our Foals are registered with Weatherbys NTR and the foals have NTR passports from Weatherbys, the reason I think that non TB were allowed in, is the jumping, some of our top races are won by horses not in the GSB and even on the flat they can race.
Also our horses can be registered with our UK coloured societys as our Stallion is Graded the same as a Warmblood and is Registered with Scottish Sports Horse, the 1/8th in our bloodline is divided between 1/16th Arab and 1/16th Irish Draught. speed and staminer.just like when the TB breed was invented
I think it would be marvelous to see coloureds on the track it would open up a brand new market and revitalise racing and I think the timing is perfect.

my friend bred this Horse seen below racing at Newton Abbott she also owned my Stallions Dam and his Grandsire.