Discussion split ("Changing the face...")

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:27 pm

I was just about to step in and warn these posters. This stuff is Just Not Tolerated here. Welcome to the board. Don't take this thread as any kind of example of what goes on here.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Desert Oasis Sporthorses
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Desert Oasis Sporthorses » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Madelyn: Thank you. The information and insight provided here is very useful to all. Thanks very much for the welcome. I look forward to learning alot of information.
Kim S. Leavitt
Desert Oasis Sporthorses
Proudly Standing Airdrie Apache, Bright White and Crusov Fox

color
Allowance Winner

Postby color » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:32 pm

that is why I bred a race mare to Alchemist to achieve a - maybe - hopefully - Palomino or buckskin foal for sending to the track to show people in Europe that TBs of a different color can also race. It looks from how she is that I may have been lucky.

Coming back to the first post of Donna. I think it is also a generation thing as how she thinks. I feel a bit the same and want to see me a bit different than in mud covered boots and hurting bones as I am even older than Donna is. April is so young she could easily be my daughter and when I was at that age, dreams and goals and a lot of life was still in the future. Now I am thinking how to downsize as I am heading to 60 in 4 years and honestly I do not want to run around like a headless chicken at my 70 to catch horses. So now downsizing is the magical word to give them a good and nice home that appreciates the quality of my life long goals. Since I am a red haired one (well now its colored, no longer true, but still the genes are there) I cannot sit in the sun on a beach but I have something else in mind that would please me for retirement AND horses....

Please enjoy your horses, love them, make the best of your lifes as time is flying....
http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabs

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:29 am

Do you have ANY idea of how much money it takes to have ONE stallion at a trainer? Showing fees, inspection fees? Are ANY of your stallions training and showing? So what if BC is leasing El Dorado, maybe now he will get shown. Great GG had a show record once before you got him TC and you said you were going to show him many times...

Yes SS - I do!!!!! And do any of you have any idea how much money it cost *me* to have Faux Finish in the States, showing, for part of her 2 year old year and ALL of her 3 year old year??? It would make the stallion-being-kept-at-a-trainers-costs VERY attractive as a different option

There is more than one way to accomplish our own personal goals. For me - instead of putting more money out on my stallion to get him into the ring again, I chose to divert that money into his kids, so that buyers, mare owners, etc could see what he PRODUCED and how they PERFORMED in a ring of their peers. It was also something that I could personally be directly involved with, doing all of the in hand showing up here in Canada and in the neighboring US states as well. Very honestly, my knees would probably not tolerate riding anything around a course of jumps right now, nor would my eye probably be accurate enough to nail those jumps perfectly each time, so if I had made the decision to show GG instead, I would have no direct involvement with it at all. Hence my decision to look at available finances and make the decision that I felt was best for me and my ENTIRE breeding program - not just one small segment of it

We do have one GG 3 year old that will hit the races this spring and I can hardly wait! There are 2 more in PA that should begin training this year and one out west that was also slated for a race career so I hope we start to see those and other palomino & buckskin TB's on the track in the years to come. There is also the Splash of Vanilla filly that Dr Chowhan purchased that should make her debut later on this year

I do think that it is quite important to get kids by our (your, mine, TC etc...) stallions out there and showing.

I absolutely 100% agree and its probably even better that each of us has our own personal goals that we are looking to achieve so I will execute my plan to accomplish this goal in a different manner than reedhill will, BC - yours might hit the jumper ring and mine might excel in the hunter ring instead and SS will have some dressage stars in her group. Great - as long as people can realize that they are very diversified and multi talented, same as the non dilutes, then we will have accomplished our goals

Let me address this comment from BC:

If you post about this new mare being yours... you love her... can wait to do this or that with her, she is going to have gorgeous marketable foals.... THEN you sell her.

I DID love this mare and had every intention of keeping her for the forseeable future, but then as things changed with the package sale on my horses, I found myself in a position - very unfortunately - where she needed to be sold. Stinks when stuff like that happens, but life goes on and you need to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and continue on - right? She is now in a home where she can continue to promote GG as well. The lady that has purchased her will be breeding her to GG this year and I hope in the years to come if she is as thrilled with the foal as I believe she will be. So - I have now divested myself of ownership of a very nice mare, but that mare will have GG foal(s) which will benefit me as well as the new owner. I couldnt be more pleased with how this all unfolded if I wasnt able to hang onto her myself

And on this subject:

So if posters ask about the Whatever mare, or the many other mares... why not say where they went

Many many many times I posted that I had sold her and she went to a new home in the States but for people to ask "WHY???" I sold her, quite frankly THAT was none of their business :wink:

Nope she is not better, far from it. She is still quite sick and has been on so many different meds and seen 8 vets. Xrays of everything, ultrasounds and blood tests weekly. No one can pin point what her problem is. I am quite upset about it... so if you were really interested and not just taking a stab, know ya know. Poor mare, my heart aches for her.

April. Whether I liked you or not, never in a million years would I take a "stab" at anyone who obviously does care for her horses very very much and has always done EVERYTHING in her power to make them better if they are sick or hurt or compromised in any way. I hadnt seen anything posted on her for quite some time and I was honestly hoping it was because she was well on the road to recovery and not because everyone was still trying to pinpoint what was so wrong with her
I do have an off-the-wall suggestion for you that I will email to you. If the traditional medication route isnt working, perhaps it might be time to look at alternative options to see if they will do the trick instead ...
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:03 am

I'll add my two cents to Jorge's hard work to keep bringing this back on topic and Madelyn's warning. Sniping is, as you all know, not tolerated on this board... and that includes this forum. The last thing we want is for new members to not feel comfortable here, or for people to blow this section off because they don't feel like wading through the "manure" to get to the "meat" of the posts.

I think (I hope) that this thread is correcting itself, and I do appreciate the effort that takes from each poster here.
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

BlazingColours
Allowance Winner

Postby BlazingColours » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:55 am

TrueColours wrote:
Nope she is not better, far from it. She is still quite sick and has been on so many different meds and seen 8 vets. Xrays of everything, ultrasounds and blood tests weekly. No one can pin point what her problem is. I am quite upset about it... so if you were really interested and not just taking a stab, know ya know. Poor mare, my heart aches for her.

April. Whether I liked you or not, never in a million years would I take a "stab" at anyone who obviously does care for her horses very very much and has always done EVERYTHING in her power to make them better if they are sick or hurt or compromised in any way. I hadnt seen anything posted on her for quite some time and I was honestly hoping it was because she was well on the road to recovery and not because everyone was still trying to pinpoint what was so wrong with her
I do have an off-the-wall suggestion for you that I will email to you. If the traditional medication route isnt working, perhaps it might be time to look at alternative options to see if they will do the trick instead ...

Thanks! Since none of the vets have been able to tell me *anything* other than she had peumonia for 2 weeks when this all started after some oil *might* have got down there from tubing her or maybe it came on its own accord... I could write a book on what Belle has been through. **I** have decided to put her on a course of Omega Alpha products. So we are going to a herbal treatment for at least a month (well into it already) and see how she fairs. My vet says that when the summer is upon us and the grass is growing it may be help to snap her out of this. I *sure* hope so. The vet the does our race horses at Woodbine, says she is quite good at using different *non traditional* ways to help heal horses who have an "issue" that no one else can put a finger on. So I am considering going to her if the Omega Alpha route does not help. And the would be the, what is it now,,, 9th vet. :(

""Color"" have you had any luck with getting more *colours* listed on the JC papers. It was you who got the palomino on it, right? Paving an new roads for us over there in Germany???
Living life for the journey, not the destination.
Join us on FACEBOOK