White star question

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Truly
Allowance Winner

White star question

Postby Truly » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Has anyone else experienced a star appearing on any of their foals that wasn't there at birth?
I know it sounds crazy but my paly 2008 colt Crinkle was born without any white markings except for a small sock on his off hind.
When he was born and still wet he was a dark colour and I could easily look for any white markings..I spotted his little sock before he dried off and looked creamy coloured.
As the Summer went by and he started to lose his baby coat and got darker I noticed a star on his forehead..it's not bright white but definitely a star.
I haven't changed his markings at Weatherby's (our JC) because I wanted to see if it stayed there..well it looks like it's staying as he is losing his Winter coat.
I've had lots of foals born with white markings on their faces before and they are obvious at birth and usually shrink slightly not suddenly appear!
I'm baffled by it..anyone else known this happen? :)
I can't post any recent pics but these are from last Summer.

RiddleMeThis
Allowance Winner

Postby RiddleMeThis » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:10 pm

I have heard of a horse supposedly "gaining a sock" but he was from a PMU farm so we just figured that they shipped her the wrong horse (weanling.) But to actually raise a horse from birth and have it suddenly gain a star or something....no Ive never seen it.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:07 pm

How about "NOVAE" for a name?

definition at: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nova

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:09 pm

I have seen this happen before when we were breeding Hanoverians.
Fuerst Grayheart R was a grey sabino. He very commenly had foals produce crop-out roaned socks as they turned weanling to yearling , and multiple white circle patches all over.

Did his star start as white roaning, then heavy enough to look like a regular star? Very cool, unless you registered him with photos before
this star appeared, LOL :D

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:11 pm

Jorge wrote:How about "NOVAE" for a name?

GOOD ONE JORGE! :D

Truly
Allowance Winner

Postby Truly » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:25 am

Jorge wrote:How about "NOVAE" for a name?

That's a great name Jorge :)..very clever!

I have just named him after months of racking my brains lol
I've called him 'Aurumba'...aurum is latin for gold and rumba is similar to the samba and his dam is called 'Samba Beat' :)

Truly
Allowance Winner

Postby Truly » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:34 am

reedhill wrote:I have seen this happen before when we were breeding Hanoverians.
Fuerst Grayheart R was a grey sabino. He very commenly had foals produce crop-out roaned socks as they turned weanling to yearling , and multiple white circle patches all over.

Did his star start as white roaning, then heavy enough to look like a regular star? Very cool, unless you registered him with photos before
this star appeared, LOL :D

Hi Carolyn,
It hasn't changed since last Summer and it's not looking like roaning but like almost white all of the star..like ivory compared to white if that makes sense? :)..it seems the hair is white but not the skin(not pink) yet appears just like a white star.
I'll try and post some recents pics if I can get them onto my puter.