Query for Dilutes Breeders (CHAMPAGNE TBs)

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Jorge

Query for Dilutes Breeders (CHAMPAGNE TBs)

Postby Jorge » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:06 am

While reading on the following very interesting site:

http://www.chboa.com/research/champagneshades.html

it occured to me to ask: can you comment on the possibility/probability
of champagne Thoroughbreds?

Thanks in advance for your valuable insight.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:00 am

I once saw a mare between 15 and 20 y/o on the CANTER site.
She appeared TB looking in the head and neck, but I remember being so attracted to her wide body that was heavy boned and thick muscled, with a very high head and neck set, she was proud. A breeder was selling some of their older mares. This has bee at least 4-5 years ago. She was JC but have not seen one since. The interesting thing is that CANTER actually listed her as a champagne mare. Before I bought my small QH champagne colt and two champ. fillies, I was so drawn to that mare even then, she looked so unique, I only passed due to her age, but wished I hadn't. I wonder if CANTER would still have her photo in their archives?? I will try and find time to call and ask.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:05 am

Not likely.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:44 am

Yes, really. She was an "amber champagne" which is a shimmery light to medium buckskin color, light brown eyes. She was a sight!

RiddleMeThis
Allowance Winner

Postby RiddleMeThis » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:45 am

Ditto Xfactor fan. Not likely at all.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:02 pm

Well, she was not bay, buckskin, palomino, chestnut, grey........
She was listed as champagne by CANTER it would be neat to find out what she was registered as, and if she is alive, could she still be DNA tested, as that would surely tell us. Seriously, I'm not dreaming this up. I have never seen one before that or since, and probably never will again. :cry:

radrider
Maiden Special Weight

Postby radrider » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:03 pm

I've always thought that champagnes were dilutions of the dun gene, which is in other breeds, like quarter horses and tennessee walkers. Cremellos are dilutions of the palomino gene and perlino is a dilution of the buckskin gene. I think it would be rare, if not impossible to get a champagne thoroughbred as the dun gene doesn't exist in Thoroughbreds

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:07 pm

Have you ever seen a black dorsal stripe on a bay or chestnut, I have.
But champagne doesn't really have anything to do with a dun gene.

RiddleMeThis
Allowance Winner

Postby RiddleMeThis » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:33 pm

radrider wrote:I've always thought that champagnes were dilutions of the dun gene, which is in other breeds, like quarter horses and tennessee walkers. Cremellos are dilutions of the palomino gene and perlino is a dilution of the buckskin gene. I think it would be rare, if not impossible to get a champagne thoroughbred as the dun gene doesn't exist in Thoroughbreds

Champagne is a different gene than dun.

Palomino, buckskin, smoky black, perlino, cremello and smoky creme. Are all caused by the same gene. The cream gene. Palomino is a chestnut horse with one cream gene. Cremello is a chestnut horse with two cream genes. A buckskin is a bay horse with one cream gene. A perlino is a bay with two creme genes. Smoky black is a black horse with one cream gene. And a smoky creme is a black horse with two cream genes.

Both cream, champagne, and dun are all different genes.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:53 pm

Want to reiterate that I really enjoyed the material published in that site.

( http://www.chboa.com/research/champagneshades.html )

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:05 pm

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Very nice Jorge, I had not seen that one. I know everyone thinks I'm nuts about seeing that champagne mare On the CANTER site, so I'm calling to see if anyone remembers her tomorrow. I sure hope so, I'd love to have some of her hair for DNA........and I'll even pay :wink: The colors that the gene offers on the coats is simply metalic looking like shining silk. We hope to offer some tall Appendix QH's for AQHA with our guy CHILLIN REVIEW who is a Gold Champagne.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:47 pm

reedhill wrote: I know everyone thinks I'm nuts about seeing that champagne mare On the CANTER site

Don't worry Reedhill, this section was created as a "city of refuge" for all
equine phenotype students to express their perspectives and wishful thoughts. Would really like to witness such a case.

RiddleMeThis
Allowance Winner

Postby RiddleMeThis » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:37 pm

reedhill wrote:The colors that the gene offers on the coats is simply metalic looking like shining silk.
Single dilutes can also have that metallic look for example,

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:00 am

Reedhill,

My not likely was an answer to Jorge's original question, not doubting your description of the mare.

The champaign colors are pretty distinctive, and seem less likely to "hide" behind sooty, or gray or black like the cream dilution does. So in my opinion, it probably doesn't exist in the TB gene pool. Of course having come down on this side of the question, tomorrow someone will find and prove by testing that they have a champaign TB.