Reed Hill Farm - TOTAL LIQUIDATION SALE

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

belambi
Allowance Winner

Postby belambi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:49 am

I have never seen such a bizarre and disrepectful trhread!.. what is the problem?.. Someone is selling a serious group of coloured tbs.. and doing it the way they see best.. Its not the end of the world.. let them get on with it..

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:59 am

Selling a horse or a whole herd is fine but call it what it is.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:28 pm

Actually, i think this "Total Dispersal" is very innovative and think I'll do my own.

I have 4 mares in-foal for 2012; two weanlings, two yearlings, three 2 YOs in training and a 5 YO gelding that is about to be retired.

PM me if you are interested and I'll provide names, pictures and prices.

Oh, almost fotgot; this total dispersal will be on going until all horses, except the one I have in a partnership, are sold.

Also, will continue race training the three 2 YOs until they are sold.

Thanks for the idea reedhill

griff

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:36 pm

belambi wrote:I have never seen such a bizarre and disrepectful trhread!.. what is the problem?.. Someone is selling a serious group of coloured tbs.. and doing it the way they see best.. Its not the end of the world.. let them get on with it..

Thank you Belambi for having tact and respect............this board and most of the others started out as a fun informational place, now they are just places for certain people to come in and put others down, I wish all chat forums would go away, they serve no constructive purpose anymore except for the ill hearted.

Helen I am calling it is what it is. A Liquidation, be it slow or fast, we shall see won't we?

Griff if you are being sarcastic "what ever". If your not I am proof it brings buyers out and sales go forward again, so best of luck to you!

By the way........Isn't what I'm doing what all of the horse industry is doing anyways in one fashion or another, at least the ones with a brain, a plan, and a conscious for the horse's well being? No slaughter houses and the crap economy has made all horse people and all people set back and restructure.

Such negativity on this forum and all others "breeds" more negativity, quite satisfying it seems to the majority here except the the few respectable individuals.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:33 pm

No, I think you are on to something here and predict it will take off like Robert Tillton's 'Vow Of Faith".

And I promise, I will not send any of my horses to New Holland.

Don't know if this qualifies as "color" but I have a solid very dark bay weaning with out any chrome what so ever.. She's very attractive with near perfect conformation.. I can't find any faults but I know there are no horses with perfect conformation.

Also have a very nice grey, or is it gray, who won $316k with 64 starts in six years and retired sound. That's an average of 10 plus starts per year for 6 years and she retired sound. She, Legitimada, is in-foal to Prospect bay [by Crafty Prospector & o/o Danzig daughter] and prospect Bay was the fastest horse in NA in 1996..

How long did it take before you started receiving PMs on your ad? I've not received any yet, but maybe that will change when I post my complete dispersal in the Buy/Sale sections.

This really is a complete dispersal as I have a price on every horse and anyone interested can have all or one at those prices.

griff
legitimada has no Mr P and i will keep breeding her until she is sold.
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:11 pm

griff wrote:No, I think you are on to something here and predict it will take off like Robert Tillton's 'Vow Of Faith".

With a price category on my website for each horse, it gives people a close idea what I want for each. Like I told ACC on the phone the other night, I have gone back and announced "If you don't like the price catagory a specific horse is in, than make an offer, don't be shy" On any given day.........I may feel like having a 50% off day jsut because of the friggin heat, LOL, on days where I might have just sold two, I might up 2 others or hold them firm for a bit longer. I have found this keeps those wating to buy watcing, saving, and waiting for their peffect time to buy from us. This is all I do except including the horses and farm duties, so I feel I need to be servant to the buyers at this point, any way I can. I wll tell you a plain website, or FACEBOOK page, and networking on FB, has brought a whole new dimension to selling. It is private and socialable at the same time, which it probably was like before my time. FB is a fantastic and user friendly way to get your horses exposure all around the world. It is all postive, and no negativity what so ever.

And I promise, I will not send any of my horses to New Holland.

Don't know if this qualifies as "color" but I have a solid very dark bay weaning with out any chrome what so ever.. She's very attractive with near perfect conformation.. I can't find any faults but I know there are no horses with perfect conformation.

Personally I look at all ages because you never know when that special conformation or pedigree may come about.

Also have a very nice grey, or is it gray, who won $316k with 64 starts in six years and retired sound. That's an average of 10 plus starts per year for 6 years and she retired sound. She, Legitimada, is in-foal to Prospect bay [by Crafty Prospector & o/o Danzig daughter] and prospect Bay was the fastest horse in NA in 1996..

Do you advertise on www.equinenow.com ? If not, you are missing out on selling pivately to the hard core racing breeders that surf there 24/7!!

How long did it take before you started receiving PMs on your ad? I've not received any yet, but maybe that will change when I post my complete dispersal in the Buy/Sale sections.

In hours Griff, not days after posting the Liquidation, radar goes up fast with horse folks when they see that word, or RETIREMENT. All come to look to see what there might be for them to improve with for a fair market value. If everyone focuses on improving and upgrading trainers will have their stalls filled back up before they too, have to fnd a different job to make ends meet.

This really is a complete dispersal as I have a price on every horse and anyone interested can have all or one at those prices.

Exactly. And you know what, there is absolutely NO SHAME in a liquidation what so ever in my opinion. If anything, it may free you up to do something else in your life that you have longed to do, or oddly put you right back in a better position to enter the racing industry in a different way, which may end up more satisfying for you. It's a win win for you. Best of Luck to you sincerely, Carolyn

griff
legitimada has no Mr P and i will keep breeding her until she is sold.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pg1EbXbZO4

If this girl can defy odds & do her thing Griff, than you and I can have a strange little
Liquidation! Hope you enjoy if you haven't seen this aready!!

Not what you would expect, but worth a couple of minutes to watch.

This story is truly remarkable. Be sure to read the story below first
and have the sound turned up a little bit at the start. This is absolutely awesome.
This young woman is mute. She can't hear, nor can she speak.
No bridle, no saddle! All commands are by touch only. This is one of those
"I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes" kind of things.

A Horse Whisperer

This girl riding the horse is in her twenties. Her father passed away just 24
days before this performance. You can hear her dedication to him just
before her performance, so turn up your speakers a bit. Notice that it is
just she and the horse - no bit, no saddle. She uses signals and touch
cues because she's mute. Oh, yes, this isn't even her horse. She is
training it for someone else, although she obviously has a relationship
with this one.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 pm

She can't hear, nor can she speak.

This is mis information I got from a second party, just wanted to clarify!

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:14 pm

I was going to say she can hear and speak quite well! What I like most about her performance is how it shows how a natural reining horse moves without false headsets, trainers shanking their mouths in the warmup, etc. I sure wish I could ride like that!!
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Thank you, I was corrected on FB too...........gosh how things get mixed up in translation, and my info came from a church person in TX........LOL
Oh well like you said I think she is an inspiration to anyone with or with out horses and to a great song!! :wink:

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:09 am

Ok, being neck deep in an actual liquidation right now with the final weeks upon us, I can say, with certainty, if you are doing a real liquidation you do not raise prices or hold on a whim. You start with retail then go down, always going down. The point is to get rid of stock, not milk sales which sounds like the direction you are going in.

Sure the discounts at my store where minimal but we sold 62% of our inventory in the first three weeks of liquidation, even after the two week "pre-sale" at merely 10-20% off. Sure the stuff that wasn't moving dropped 5-10% every week and the stuff that was held for a week but it always went down. Buyers died off after a while, anyone on my FB can tell because now I have time for random status updates since it's taking the whole shift to get to my daily sales goal when before I would surpass it before lunch.

This is not like when Glenwood Hanoverians got out of the business and sold everything with the exception of I think four personal horses to retire with. Glenwood was one of the biggest warmblood farms nationally and the echos of their breeding program are still seen today. This is not like what Garner Creek Hanoverians is currently doing because of the horrible drought in Texas right now and Sharon thinking about the health and safety of her very valuable horses.

Carolyn, love you to death and respect your breeding program but it you are "culling" not "liquidating". It is no different than what any one breeder does at any given point in time during breeding season or the end of breeding season or before winter or before spring... You get the idea.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:29 am

Ok, being neck deep in an actual liquidation right now with the final weeks upon us, I can say, with certainty, if you are doing a real liquidation you do not raise prices or hold on a whim. You start with retail then go down, always going down. The point is to get rid of stock, not milk sales which sounds like the direction you are going in.

Funny Helen I don't ever recall you being my boss or manager ever, so exactly where do you fit in "my" picture telling me what to do? You don't
make my decisions or pay my bills so telling me I don't have the right to raise my "own" prices or lower them on "my" stock is absolutely no concern
of yours or anyone else's in this world. Can you wrap yourself around that? :shock: :idea:

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:23 am

A liquidation essentially means that the business is on the financial rocks and has to sell off any assets as quickly as possible in an attempt to pay off the creditors who are circling like wolves. (Sometimes this happens by court order.) In terms of horse farms, I've also seen the term used in other emergency circumstances, like a serious illness or similar disaster that's forcing the farm owner to sell off the stock as quickly as they can. Thus the initial sympathetic replies to the original post.

I've never really heard of anyone using the term "liquidation" as a long-term ongoing marketing tool, because it really does have very negative connotations...similar to bankruptcy. (Often the two go hand in hand.)

So, if it's really just culling stock, and there's no looming emergency situation or financial disaster, it's not just arguably deceptive marketing, it's potentially damaging to your business' reputation in terms of customer and even creditor perception.

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:32 am

when turning an buisness assett in to cash it is capitalising on the assett.
but I dont really think it matters all that matters is that Reedhill wants to sell some horses simple really, and very good luck to her
A coloured leaving its mark
Angrove stud breeding your racing colours

I am dyslexic it can be funny!

r3b3l
Maiden Special Weight

Postby r3b3l » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:01 pm

I know forums have freedom of speech, but rules also talk about RESPECT. I think RHF deserves it, and it's not right to ruin her post like this.

None of us would like to have a person coming along and writting in our sale advert something like "Hey ! that horse isn't worth the money you ask for it! You must lower the price" or stuff like that.

In this case it's something similar. Whether the sale is or is not a real liquidation, there is no need to point it out. Who are we to decide how anyone should call their sale? And for what purpose? If it actually damages their business, it's RHF's problem. If customers end up getting a wrong idea, its RHF's problem once more. Let everyone call their own business how they like. Besides, most don't know the real reasons for the sale, and if you think you know them and consider they don't meet the criteria for being called "liquidation", you could/should keep it to yourself.

At least that is what I would do, to be polite I guess. Because people deserve respect, and I wouldn't like to see people ruining my own adverts. Private message is an option if you want to make a suggestion or complain...

Whatever the name, this sale is a great opportunity for everyone interested in buying a coloured thoroughbred. That is the important thing!