Possible Brindle TB mare

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Possible Brindle TB mare

Postby angrovestud » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:25 am

I have been sent some photos of a very interesting mare Lady Starlight" (IRE)
with the most amazing markings she is what appears to be a Brindle and she has splodges of white on her as well her 4 foals have been 3 bay and 1 Chesnut, The Chesnut is also carring the white in its coal but none have been born brindle, apparently the mare has developed more brindling as shes aged, she is a 2002 or 9 year old mare
It would be nice to report back to my friends your thoughts this mare was sent to the Darley Stallion "Doyen"

http://www.pedigreequery.com/lady+starlight6

A coloured leaving its mark
Angrove stud breeding your racing colours

I am dyslexic it can be funny!

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:40 am

:shock: For heaven's sake, she's marked like a Boxer! How cool!

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:45 am

Shes just fantastic and has a super sire I love her looks she so unusual

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:07 am

She is totally fabulous!!! :)

Thanks so much for posting those pictures!
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:19 am

Thank you so much! Truecolours I really feel very lucky to have been shown these photos, I am awaiting photos of her Chesnut progeny with the white.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 am

Wow! That is so unique! I agree she has the markings of a boxer :D Thanks for posting
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

HeadlessHorseman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby HeadlessHorseman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:13 am

W :shock: W....it looks like someone poured a line of BLEACH down her BACK....

SO COOL...

Is she close to you????

HH :)

aethervox
Allowance Winner

Postby aethervox » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:50 am

There's a lot of information about brindle coat color in horses at http://www.justabrindlehorse.com/brindle-horses/brindle-coats/

Since Lady Starlight hasn't passed the brindle coloration to her foals, she may be a chimera (two fertilized eggs fuse in the womb - some cells get one color the others get another).

There's an article about chimera brindles at http://instructor.mstc.edu/instructor/MKundinger/oneinamillion.pdf

Hope this info is useful.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:38 pm

Wonderful Find! Thank you!

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:59 pm

She's very cool, do you have a pic. of the whole mare we can post under her pedigree?
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:17 pm

Wow, it's almost incredible and "beyond explanation" how come these reiterated doses from Hyperion and Royal Charger are almost always playing protagonical roles everywhere and in every possible way. Too much of a coincidence? Well, for the sake of science let's leave it that way! :lol:

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Are you sure it isn't scarring from rain rot? That grayish splotching could be that now.

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:41 am

I am sure its not rain rot or in the UK we call it Rain scald as she has passed on some white to one of her foals I am waiting for photos of it should happen in the ext few weeks she was not bred for colour and she has been in training but had an accident in the starting stalls.
she most definatley has a stunning home in Newmarket!
:D Got some more Photos of her this morning for you guys I am just thrilled about her and cant wait too see photos of her progeny thats in training she has one in France as well in training.
her nick name is Splodge!

even her head has the stripes! how good is that!

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:54 am

I would love to have seen baby pictures of her to know if the light areas were there at birth or came up later on in life ...

I remember looking at this mare years ago to buy and thinking her "markings" were so cool and then finding out that she had developed a skin fungus from the saddle pad and girth cover which permanently destroyed the hair follicles and turned them white. I wonder if its the same situation with this mare???

and:

My Faux Finish mare had a small (like 1 inch long brindle marking at birth around her withers. By the time she was 1-2 years of age, it had grown and travelled from her withers down to her girth area and wrapped underneath her belly. This was her at 1 year of age:

Now funnily enough, the Nightlight mare (who is smoky black) develops bright gold brindle markings on her in the exact same area. There is a short time frame that you can see them in - before the winter coat comes in and before the new summer coat starts to fade and lighten, but I will try and get some pictures of it at the opportune time

And now - mentioning all of this, the Four Feet of Snow colt has the exact same darker "discoloured" small patch in the exact same position as the brindle markings started on his full sisters. It will be very interesting to watch it and see if it grows the same as theirs did over time

I think brindle markings are SO cool! I'd be thrilled to have as many of these markings on my guys as "Splodge" has on her! :)
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:01 am

I would also love to know why - on Splodge - the brindle markings are lighter than her base coat colour, on Nightlight they are lighter as well and on Faux Finish they are darker???
www.TrueColoursFarm.com