Lovely flaxen / sabino / rabicano yearling TB colt ...

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:47 pm

While his pattern may look similar to Manchado to some (not to me personally), manchados have only been found in horses born in Argentina so far and thus would be misleading about this colt IMO.

No, I'm pretty sure this colt was bred to be a traditional color. The fact that he is going through a racing sale alone tells me that for the most part (VERY few color breeders would send a horse to a racing sale, especially one this colorful and in tact). I think he was a surprise, which leads me to believe his parents are perfectly plain (and I haven't found anything yet to suggest otherwise) and thus he would be the original mutation of a new dominant white mutation and he absolutely will pass this coloring on (including siring some possible all whites) about 50% of the time.

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:51 pm

I wouldn't think manchado of this colt either. But how exciting if he turns out to be decent, another racebred DW! Now they will geld him.

I wish I had money! :(
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.