Looking for a pattern here.

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Looking for a pattern here.

Postby oleos93 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:14 pm

May be to early to post this, I should wait until I get a couple more crops but I would like some input.

My gray TB stallion ELEGANT GESTURE, his first foal crop was 2010, only bred two mares and own both foals, colt and filly. The filly was born Feb of 2010, was born sorrel and is still sorrel. Dame was dark bay sire of course gray. The colt was born in July, was born dark bay and is now roaning to his soon to be gray coat. His dame dark bay. Had a 2011 filly, born sorrel still sorrel not looking like she will change. Her dame, dark bay and of course gray sire.

So the pattern I am seeing is the fillies are staying sorrel, with no sorrel dames and the colt is turning gray.

Now the interesting part is my gray stud was born of a dark bay mare, and a gray stud, he was born sorrel and turned gray by a year old.

I though maybe the dark bay and gray are making sorrel fillies only but my stud was from a dark bay mom and a gray dad. Then I though that maybe it is the dark bay and the gray just making sorrels that stay sorrel regardless of sex, but again my stud was born sorrel turned gray later.

This is why I think I need to wait a while and maybe see a pattern here. I have rebred him back to the dame that had the 2011 sorrel filly and also bred him to a new gray mare. I bred him to a sorrel mare but her and the foal just died 2 weeks ago.

Oh and my studs half sister, same dark bay dame, is sorrel. BUT her sire was sorrel, so that makes sence.

Any thought?

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:44 pm

IMO there's no need to wait. You have the information you need right now through simple genetics.

There is no pattern. It's all luck of a sort. You've had a couple coincidences so far.

Your stallion's color prior to turning gray was sorrel. So genetically he is sorrel with a gray modifier. He will always throw sorrel (with or without gray), regardless of the mare. If the mare is sorrel, the foal will always be sorrel (but it may or may not gray). If the mare is bay, dark bay, black (whatever, as long as she has black legs, not including grays), the foal may be sorrel or it may be bay/dark bay (with or without gray). Some dark mares will throw sorrels with your stallion and some darks. This is where the "luck" part comes in.

Now the gray... that's just a simple 50-50. 50% of his foals will turn gray, regardless of what color they start as. You will eventually have a sorrel colt who doesn't turn gray and a bay filly who does, etc.

Play around with this for a while if you want. It may help you a bit:
http://www.horsetesting.com/CCalculator1.asp

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:46 pm

It's just a 50/50 chance you will get a grey, and so far just happens to be the colts, regardless of what color the mare is, unless she is a homozygous grey. Here is the coat calculator, kind of fun to play with http://www.horsetesting.com/CCalculator1.asp

HeadlessHorseman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby HeadlessHorseman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:56 pm

My 2 cents....

I have 3 siblings....by the same Grey Stallion and out of the same Black Mare....I have..one Grey Gelding, one Bay Gelding, and one Bay Filly....

The bays do have roaning hairs...but very few....

HH :)

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:56 pm

HeadlessHorseman wrote:My 2 cents....

ELEGANT GESTURE's pedigree http://www.pedigreequery.com/elegant+gesture

2 additional cents...

ROCKEFELLA, who was a powerful protagonical ancestor in the pedigree of the white horse, CLARENCE STEWART (1977) is also present here.
Perhaps no effect here but, well, let me put the fact anyway.

Linda_d
Starters Handicap

Postby Linda_d » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:40 pm

When you are only getting a few foals, it's hard to get a true sense of real "patterns". A gray horse that sires 10 chestnuts in a row will still have a 50% chance of getting a chestnut on #11, just like a stallion that throws 10 fillies in a row still has a 50% of his next one being a colt.

Over several hundred foals, the percentages come out much closer to what's expected. A gray stallion with 400 foals probably has about 200 that are grays, and about half his foals will also be colts.
"you cannot be brilliant if you cannot run" -- bdw0617