Here's one for you Jorge...

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Here's one for you Jorge...

Postby ElPrado » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Many years ago, as a teenager, I went to a riding stable for riding lessons. One of the horses' color still sticks with me. Have you ever seen a horse that looked green?
Not bright green. It wasn't a dye job. It was some sort of a dun color. I've owned grullas. That wasn't it. He was a part draft paint. I've never forgotten that horse.

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:57 pm

I personally can't think of any shade of dun besides grulla that could ever look greenish.

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:12 am

He was literally olive drab. Maybe he was some shade of grulla.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:57 am

I tried to find a picture of my old dressage horse because I think he is the exact color you mentioned (but the computer with his picture recently crashed & I haven't salvaged anything, yet).

I had a lesson with a Danish instructor once, who said admiringly that you never see green horses in his home country.

Anyhow, the best picture I could find of a horse close to his color is an online auction - try this link & look at Lot #211 -

http://online.professionalauction.com/a ... p?aucid=51

In a 'color of horses' book, the color was described as olive grulla if it didn't have dark tips to the hair & a 'smutty olive grulla' if there were dark tips to the hair.

It was very different from 'regular' grulla.

I'll see if I can scan a picture of him. He was part-Trakehner, but my best guess is the rest of him was TB & QH, for what its worth.

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:02 pm

That's probably what I mean. You could call him olive. Strangest color I ever saw on a horse. My grulla mare was not that shade. She was like a bay, but did not have black legs, mane or tail. They were simply a darker brown. Add in the turning into a leopard as she aged and she could confuse anyone. She wouldn't have a spot on her shoulder one day, but give it a week, she'd find one.

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:45 pm

A faded grulla can turn some odd shades.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks for the watch. Let me see if I
visualize the color.
Something like this one (already posted)?:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff28 ... Teanna.jpg

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:42 pm

Paisley was the base color of my mare. She was more of a chocolate than green. The mane, tail and lower legs were simply darker, not black.
That horse I knew years ago was even greener, but the shade was something that. He looked like the pics posted above by Jorge and accphotography.