Girls vs. Boys in the gene pool?

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:52 pm

So when I have a mare that produces nothing but fillies that look exactly alike their daddies. Does that mean that I have to find a stallion that has a good if not great female side to pass on the female genes?
Am I getting this right.
And how do i know about the female side when alot of the racing side ( the Farms ) don't really know about the dam of the stallion? What they looked like what they did as two year olds and why they did it..
Karen

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 pm

I took a quick look at the site and would like to point out a few things.

1. The site is advertising for someone who wants to sell more services.

2. It reads like Ellen Parker's site.

3. While genetics is mentioned, there's not a lot of evidence that the writer really understands genetics.

To use an exaple on how genes are passed on. You can breed two chestnut (or bay) offspring of Milkie the palomino TB, and NEVER get another palomino. No matter how many times the cross is tried. If the horses in question don't have the gene, they CAN NOT pass it on.

Simply because a horse has a famous ancestor, doesn't mean that those genes are present. Trying to re-create Man'O War by breeding to horses with Man O War 6-7 generations back is a nice fantasy, but doesn't happen.

There doesn't seem to be any understanding of mtDNA.

Interesting site, but take any information with a grain of salt.

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Keep researching.
By the time you get all of this down pat the mare will be too old to breed anyway.
Breeding is not an exact science. Every gene could be one or the other, there are millions of genes. You breed and hope you got the right combination when it comes out. If you don't, you grit your teeth and try again.
Then you have the non-genetic factors, like the amount and type of exercise as a foal, feeding, training, what specific things the trainer seems to focus on, sheer accidental injury, God knows what else. They all come into play. There is no way to say you bred x to z and are guaranteed to come up with y. There are too many things to factor in.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Bay - in this articles that you have it mentions alot of line breeding. And the question that I have is which mares and stallions are okay to Line Breed to?

For example Mr. Prospector well I know that there has been alot success with that line breeding but isn't there alot of crookedness involved?

El Prado- I kinda don't want to over breed, thats the thing. I don't want to do too much here. Have so many horses that I won't be able to give them away.
K

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:12 pm

guys and gals--
Humor me on this..

Take a look at Storm and A Half.

does any of these genetics theories apply to him?

bayrabicano
Allowance Winner

Postby bayrabicano » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Cool. X-factor. please answer Karen's question...
.... which was....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So, Is there a name for or an explanation for when a sire produces a gender that is better than the opposite gender?
For Example:
If a sire stats show that the boys do better and win more often and the fillies rarely win claiming races.
"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
- Michelangelo

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:33 pm

Sex Linked.

And this could have a number of way of working.

Traits carried on the X chromosome.
Traits that are only affected by the sex of offspring.
Traits that are only expressed when passed on via one sex. Apparently either the chromosomes, or the genes know if they are of maternal or paternal origin.

And while I don't know if there is any science to back this up, but there may be an interaction between mtDNA and genes on chromosomes. This may be that these two factors interact directly, or that there are simply some genes that work better with one form of mtDNA.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:04 am

Now is there anyway to list these stallions on here that have the ability to make sex linked offspring on this forum?

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:27 pm

Northern Dancer. Sire of good colts not fillies.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:28 pm

I am guessing but Secretariat... good sire of fillies.

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Part of Secretariat's problem was standing at the same time and at the same farm as Mr Prospector. Secretariat tended to sire more distance than speed at a time when the emphasis was beginning to go to speed. He seems to have thrown more to the Princequillo side of his pedigree. Lots of turf and distance in his get. Mr P threw speed to damned near everything.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Bertrando

Maybe Skywalker-- I did alot of research but not alot on Skywalker.