Please identify this horse from the 1920 St Leger

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Jorge

Please identify this horse from the 1920 St Leger

Postby Jorge » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:38 pm

The following film:
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/st-le ... y-caligula
features the 1920 St. Leger Stakes who was won by the gray CALIGULA (1917).

I suppose that SPION KOP, winner of that year's Epsom Derby, who sported a blaze a 4 white leg markings, is the horse that it is shown parading third before the race.

But the horse that really caught my attention is the horse parading fifth.
This one is sporting a bigger blaze and two high leg markings on his rear legs.

Can anyone identify this Thoroughbred?

Thanks for your assistance.

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:42 am

Jorge I have spent a little time digging around and come up with the horse that came second it was Silvern the horse you named SPION KOP did not get placed in the St Leger in 1920 I will keep trying to find more
Interestingly Silvern has Gallinule as dams sire so he would be colourful i would have thought plus cellene is there on the sires side
A coloured leaving its mark
Angrove stud breeding your racing colours

I am dyslexic it can be funny!

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:34 am

angrovestud wrote:Jorge I have spent a little time digging around and come up with the horse that came second it was Silvern the horse you named SPION KOP did not get placed in the St Leger in 1920 I will keep trying to find more
Interestingly Silvern has Gallinule as dams sire so he would be colourful i would have thought plus cellene is there on the sires side

Thank you so much for trying to assist me here. The only additional information I possess is that on second place, just behind the unexpected winner (Caligula) arrived Silvern, with Manton on third position. I also learned that Spion Kop arrived unplaced. By watching the video apparently he arrived in nineth position. It's quite unusual that not a single numbered cloth can be identified in the video. One thing is quite clear: that fifth parading horse looks quite flamboyant for the period.
Let's see, perhaps Lucy or any of our other well trained observers may find something.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Update!

I have been informed that the order to finish is the following:

1920 St Leger Stakes order of finish --

1. Caligula gr
2. Silvern b
3. Manton b
4. Braishfield b
5. Black Gauntlet bbr
6. Abbots Trace ch
7. The Alder b
8. Orpheus br
9. Stronghold b
10. Double Bed ch
11. Oliviero ch
12. Allenby b
13. Spion Kop b
14. Daylight Patrol ch

Assuming that the horse is of "chestnut" color, and matching the aforementioned order of finish with the video itself,
I am under the impression that the mystery horse must be,
either OLIVIERO (who is seen in the "photo finish" arriving 11th, next to the rail) or DOUBLE BED (who is seen in the "photo finish" arriving 10th, second lane off the rail). Opinions?

Their pedigrees are also proving ellusive.
Thanks again for your assistance.