Back to Pedigree Query
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bend-or spots
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:41 pm 
Breeder's Cup Winner

My OTTB has them on his body, I finally figured out what they were. He's a chestnut.
I would like to take pictures to share, will do that when the weather is nice.

Can anyone explain them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:03 pm 
Breeder's Cup Winner

I am sure that there are others out there that know more about genetics than I. But I can tell you that the Ben d' Or spot from what I know are from the horse Ben D'Or. They are in Quarterhorses and Paints that have Ben D' Or in them. I do know from personal experience that it can occur in Chestnuts, bays, dark bays, sorrels.
I don't know how such a gene is passed on for such a long period of time and I believe Big Brown has a Ben d' Or spot too. I could be wrong though. But it is a genetic question for someone who knows alot more about coloring and how it could be passed on from Doncaster- Ben D'Or sire who looks like a chestnut or sorrel.I do know that some can be dark and some can be white.

http://www.tbheritage.com/Portraits/BendOr.html
http://www.theequinest.com/bend-or-spots/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:29 pm 
Breeder's Cup Winner

He's registered a chestnut, but my Quarter Horse friend told me he looks more like a sorrel. Whatever that means! I have no idea. Thanks.
I was just curious about them, they are very unique and people ask me all the time about the spots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:30 pm 
Breeder's Cup Winner

Sorrel just means that he has more red than chestnut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:33 pm 
Starters Handicap

Cree wrote:
He's registered a chestnut, but my Quarter Horse friend told me he looks more like a sorrel. Whatever that means! I have no idea. Thanks.
I was just curious about them, they are very unique and people ask me all the time about the spots.

That probably means he's a very reddish chestnut. Westerners/QH folks frequently call reddish chestnuts "sorrel" while darker chestnuts are just "chestnuts". TB folks call all reddish horses without black points chestnuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:04 pm 
Grade II Winner

We had a chestnut OTTB that was so red he was like a tomato. He had a tattoo, also. We got him from a kill auction. It took us a while to get him healthy. He was skin and bones. If I could have found his previous owner I would have gone for him with a pitch fork. He was a sweet, gentle horse. Once we got him fed up and retrained he was a great pleasure horse. He really was beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:37 pm 
Sophomore Sire

ElPrado wrote:
We had a chestnut OTTB that was so red he was like a tomato. He had a tattoo, also. We got him from a kill auction. It took us a while to get him healthy. He was skin and bones. If I could have found his previous owner I would have gone for him with a pitch fork. He was a sweet, gentle horse. Once we got him fed up and retrained he was a great pleasure horse. He really was beautiful.

People like that will reincarnate as neglected horses, the way cat hating abusers will come back as small rodents.

Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:55 am 
Breeder's Cup Winner

In the west red chestnuts with light manes and tails are called sorrel. The rest of the country calls all red/liver horses chestnut. It is a regional thing, and somewhat breed specific.

Bend Or spots are dark spots on a chestnut or palomino horse. Bend Or ( or Tadcaster) had them. Birdcatcher spots are white spots on a otherwise solid coat. Big Ben had something else. And other horses in his family tree also had that white shoulder patch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:40 pm 
Breeder's Cup Winner

Thanks for the replies.
My gelding is a chestnut with a more reddish tint, but his mane and tail are almost maroon. He also turns a honey colour from the sun in the summer.