stronger possibility of white with...

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

stronger possibility of white with...

Postby Derby Lyn » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:59 am

would I have a stronger possibility of getting a white foal out of Airdrie Apache lines or White Fox lines?

I know the AA line will throw the more wild sabinos, but it doesn't seem like WF lines throw that.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:52 am

Let me clarify first that I am going to try to give an answer to your question from my personal observations which are influenced on phenotypical perspectives and not from a genotypical point of view.

Having said that, I would say that the most important factor is to know how to select the "other" mate you are about to use. (Namely the non-Airdrie Apache or the non-The White Fox mate.) Based on simple acknowledgement (not scientific data) I have observed that the Airdrie Apaches have the best record of producing white foals with any kind of mate over The White Fox. But unfortunately, the number of crossess performed by The White Fox and his lineage has been too reduced as to make a fair comparision. Having said that I have to acknowledge that
The White Fox are far more immaculate than that of the Airdrie Apaches.
If I were to perform a cross I would prefer the Airdrie Apaches but making sure that the other mate is as sabino-looking as possible, as a
way of avoiding the possibility of a heavily maculated non-white looking
produce.

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:23 pm

The White Fox line has a few loud "sabinos" (though they are actually dominant whites) as well, but not nearly as many as the AA line. The AA line DOES throw some all whites though (even frequently). If you WANT an all white I'd be more inclined to go with The White Fox. If you want more of the "sabino" look I'd go more AA. But either can go either way depending on lots of variables.

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:06 pm

I think I am going with the AA lines because of conformation and performance reasons. Looking for something fancy over fences and good for dressage, not looking for a race horse. It's a hard decision but I had to make up my mind since she has foaled and will be bred soon.

color
Allowance Winner

Postby color » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:33 am

Since we are at this question and I do not want more all whites than I already have, I thought I breed my Shew to Palladium for getting hopefully something more like wild colored instead of all white as Palladium is black base color.

Could this work? Shew has given me two all whites that were in addition both Palomino and two buckskins that only had a bit of white. I would love something like Sato or his buckskin colorful son.
http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabs

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:37 pm

Yes I think Palladium would be a VERY good cross color wise for Shew. I think you just might get what you want out of that.

Lyn I agree in your situation that AA would be the better choice.

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. Excited for the foal next year!