This horse look a roan

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

This horse look a roan

Postby Georgerz » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:06 pm

I know that there are no roans in the thoroughbred, but this horse looks like one. Pretty handsome.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/blood ... -turnover/

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: This horse look a roan

Postby summerhorse » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Just a grey.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

MattieCat
Yearling

Postby MattieCat » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Actually, a purebred brindle TB by the name of Catch a Bird (NZ) is a sire of several true roan thoroughbreds. Winning Colours Farm in Australia actually owned a couple of his roan fillies (Slip Catch and Lilac Hill) for a period of time before selling them after producing, from what I know of, at least one true roan overo TB sold to a US buyer not too long ago.
From what I know, there are:
Dominant White TBs
Sabino TBs
Overo TBs
Roan TBs
Palomino+Cremello, Buckskin+Perlino, Smoky Black+Smoky Cream TBs
Splash White TBs
Brindle TBs

And I am sure there are more to come. Its foolish to think that these mutations will never occur, or deny that there are in fact purebred thoroughbreds that look like paints. Parentage Verification through DNA has proven that many dilute and painted thoroughbreds are in fact purebred thoroughbreds. Its just a real bummer that no one has decided to integrate the unique colors into thoroughbred racing. Looks like all the TB farms are looking to travel the path of least resistance, not the road less traveled.

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:36 am

The sabino gene does not exist in thoroughbreds nor do the known splash white genes. The "sabino" thoroughbreds are all white spotted mutations. The splash white type gene(s) is as of yet unidentified (although obviously present).

The only brindle gene known of is a skin disorder, I don't think that is present in TBs either. The brindle patterns are thought to be caused by other factors that cause the hair to take on a brindle appearance, they don't really breed true.

Cream causes all of these colors: palomino/buckskin/smokey black in one dose, double dose cremello/perlino/smokey cream.

The Catch A Birds are not true roan although genetically they act like it. I do not know if they have identified the gene possible yet but they do know it does not test as Rn.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.