Royal Ascot Week 2021

Discuss racing outside the USA.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, K~2, Jorge

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Royal Ascot Week 2021

Postby erins isle » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:42 am

Great racing, only once a year with exceptional horses and races:

Palace Pier, Battaash and the St. James's Palace Stakes, on the first day.

Enjoy!
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Royal Ascot Week 2021

Postby Taffy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 am

April born Two year olds don't do well at Ascot, but Wesley Ward has the favourite from a wide draw (20)..TWILIGHT GLEAMING (February foal)
Favourite was second....won by QUICK SUZY

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Taffy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:34 am

It is still lashing down here at Ascot, with half an hour to go before the inspection which will decide whether racing can go ahead on day four of the Royal meeting. Meanwhile, in a lively market on Betfair, with just over £60,000 matched thus far, the odds on racing being abandoned are down to 2-5, while a thumbs-up from the officials is 7-4 against and drifting.

There are seemingly a few options open to the track, with the first and most likely seeming to be that racing will be abandoned for today.

An alternative would be to run a five-race card on the straight mile, which was completely relaid when the grandstand was rebuilt 15 years ago and drains rather better than the round course. That could accommodate all but the King Edward VII Stakes and the Duke Of Edinburgh Stakes, both of which are run over a mile-and-a-half.And if there is no way to race today, it might be possible to run a 10-race card on Saturday, which would include the Commonwealth Cup, Coronation Stakes and King Edward VII Stakes from today’s card. With rain forecast to continue at least sporadically until the early hours of the morning, however, there is an obvious possibility that the track will remain unraceable on Saturday.
Guardian newspaper......Greg Wood

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Taffy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:40 am

Royal Ascot gets go-ahead after inspection

The meeting at Royal Ascot was given the go-ahead on Friday after an inspection of the track under two hours before racing at 2.30pm following torrential rain overnight and during the morning.

Guardian newspaper

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:23 am

From good to firm to heavy today.

Other horses?

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Taffy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:02 am

Ascot 5:00.....9 non runners :?

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:59 pm

Interesting week - I always learn a lot and realize how little I know about racing in GB and Europe.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Taffy » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:51 am

Joltman wrote:Interesting week - I always learn a lot and realize how little I know about racing in GB and Europe.

Banstead Manor Stud's Frankel came out on top in a diverse sires table for Royal Ascot in 2021, with three winners bolstered by two seconds and a third place.

The dual world champion was responsible for an opening day double courtesy of Wolferton Stakes scorer Juan Elcano and then a one-two in the Copper Horse Stakes with Amtiyaz and Dubious Affair.

Juddmonte's leading sire was also provided with Wednesday's Hampton Court Stakes scorer Mohaafeth - a poignant winner for the late Sheikh Hamdan's Shadwell operation - while he was also responsible for two further placed runners in Coronation Stakes runner-up Snow Lantern and Queen Alexandra Stakes third The Grand Visir.

The redoubtable Dark Angel finished in the runner-up spot with three winners and a third place in another excellent week for Yeomanstown Stud's stalwart sire.

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:07 pm

Yesterday I watched the Irish Derby and what would have been a great race, it was a huge disapointment afterwards.
How is it possible that the winner bumped into two contenders at least and gets away with it? Is this racing?

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Taffy » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:02 am

erins isle wrote:Yesterday I watched the Irish Derby and what would have been a great race, it was a huge disapointment afterwards.
How is it possible that the winner bumped into two contenders at least and gets away with it? Is this racing?

A stewards’ inquiry was launched here but victory was swiftly concerned, with the leading pair seven lengths clear of Wordsworth in third. The big disappointment of the race was the favourite, Aidan O’Brien’s High Definition, who was one of the first horses beaten.

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Taffy » Wed May 03, 2023 8:45 am

Royal Ascot 2023.
Wesley Ward’s Royal Ascot team is taking shape and they are set to form part of a formidable overseas challenge on the meeting.
Ward’s Love Reigns, fourth in last year’s Queen Mary, and Twilight Gleaming, second in the same race two years ago, are both on course to return.
They could be joined by Brad Cox’s Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint heroine Caravel.
Ward said: “Love Reigns and Twilight Gleaming are doing great. They are both coming off nice comeback wins and their owner Barbara Banke (of Stonestreet Stables) is really looking forward to getting them over there. She loves Ascot as much as me and we are all excited.
“I was really happy with Love Reigns in the Limestone Stakes. She had to switch a couple of times in the run but showed a great attitude to get up on the line, while Twilight Gleaming showed a lot of speed in her comeback race.
“Twilight Gleaming will definitely go for the King’s Stand Stakes, whereas Love Reigns will have an entry there and in the Commonwealth Cup.”
Ward has made his name winning the juvenile contests at Ascot and American Rascal, a son of his Queen Mary and King’s Stand winner Lady Aurelia, made a big impression when winning on his debut.
“American Rascal has come out of his first race in super shape. The team at Stonestreet really liked him and it was exciting to see him produce a performance like that.” said Ward.
“Fandom looks another good prospect after his debut win on the grass and we also have some nice two-year-olds to run at Belmont, so we will see what else unfolds in the coming days.
“Bledsoe has already travelled over to England and will run in a novice race at Ascot on May 13. He won America’s first two-year-old race of the year on the dirt at Keeneland but his mother Shrinking Violet was a multiple stakes winner of the turf, so we are looking forward to getting him on the grass.”

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed May 10, 2023 7:48 pm

Saw a picture of Stradivarius at the stud. He looks awesome, like he could come back for another run.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Thu May 11, 2023 1:34 am

Saw a picture of Stradivarius at the stud. He looks awesome, like he could come back for another run.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...he's too fond of his new career. :wink: