Sunday's Arc Shapes Up As One Of The Greatest Ever

Discuss racing outside the USA.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, K~2, Jorge

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Sunday's Arc Shapes Up As One Of The Greatest Ever

Postby Patuxet » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:53 am

The field is quite the best assembled since the vintage 1986 contest. The top nine horses have all won at the highest level.

I've always considered the Arc the best race in the world. I particularly like that Europeans aren't afraid to test their best fillies and mares in it. This year's field will likely include The Fugue and Treve, the unbeaten 3YO French filly supplemented for 100,000 euros.

The favorite is likely to be Japanese sensation and last year's runner-up Orfevre. I'd like to see Germany's Novellist win. Sadly and as usual no American horse is entered.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:28 am

Hi Patuxet,

While watching the program on the computer (Equidia) I just read that Novellist will not run because of having a fever this morning. My favourite is the French filly Treve. Tomorrow there is a great program also today. I am surely looking forward to it. The greatest racing weekend ever!

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd? ... category=0
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:29 am

Erins Isle: Thanks for the heads up on Novellist. Disappointing news for the race and especially for my friend Dr. Frank (aka Parlo here) who's driving to Longchamp, some 410 km from his home in Germany for the day.

I'm also disappointed at the defection of The Fugue because of the possibility of soft going, although current reports from France seem to indicate the surface more likely "good" than "soft" with no more rain in the forecast. I'm still waiting to see how good The Fuge really is. Perhaps we will if she goes in the CB turf instead of the Fillies & Mares Turf.

For whichever horse is in front at the wire it will be surely be a career-defining moment.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:51 am

I hope all the best for The Fugue! It is going to be a marvellous sunday racing!

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:55 am

There was not much pace in the beginning so the whole group was close to another, Treve was on the outside gradually making progress and when Jarnet said ''go'' she went. What a super filly she is. poor Orfevre was second once again. And poor Frankie Dettori, he would have ridden the filly, but broke a bone in his leg this week.
Treve is from the family of Triptych, she herself won the Arc and Doff the Derby, dam of Generous, winner of the English and the Irish Derby.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Treve is an exceptional horse. A most impressive and still undefeated winner. To race her further I suppose would be to risk destroying a potential breeding and/or financial fortune.

Trillion, the dam of Triptych and 4th dam of Treve, was also a significant international racehorse herself. She won the Prix Ganay, ran 2nd in the Prix Diane (Fr. Oaks) and was 2nd to Alleged in the 1978 Arc among many group/grade wins and placings.

She was also considerably inbred: http://www.pedigreequery.com/trillion