Starving horses need intervention and removal from Idaho

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

NorthStar
Allowance Winner

Starving horses need intervention and removal from Idaho

Postby NorthStar » Thu May 14, 2009 4:41 am

A friend sent this and asked that I post and email to get authorities to act to intervene.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/urgent ... val-needed

photos taken April 22, 2009 by Idaho authorities. They couldn't find one of the horses.

Proof exists they were well cared for BEFORE they were transferred. http://forums.prospero.com/n/mb/message ... =35495.523
Last edited by NorthStar on Fri May 15, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Thu May 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Interesting. I should go and see for myself

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Thu May 14, 2009 2:29 pm

How long have they been in their current care?

NorthStar
Allowance Winner

Postby NorthStar » Fri May 15, 2009 4:43 pm

ireneinwa wrote:How long have they been in their current care?

Since late February.

photos taken April 22, 2009 by Idaho authorities. They couldn't find one of the horses.

Proof exists they were well cared for BEFORE they were transferred. http://forums.prospero.com/n/mb/message ... =35495.523

please sign the petition to get the authorities to act.

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Sat May 16, 2009 10:25 am

NorthStar wrote:
ireneinwa wrote:How long have they been in their current care?

Since late February.

please sign the petition to get the authorities to act.

Are those the pics before they were sent to new home or after...its not very clear. If those were the before pics wheres the after ones??????? Their doesnt seem to be any proof. If those are the pics when they were brought to the new home wheres the after ones???...Seems they were all ready in very poor shape as it does take time for them to recover from being starved.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm

this needs to be moved to the HORSES IN NEED area. That's why that entire area was created.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sat May 16, 2009 7:52 pm

Spring, I think this was put here for the attention.
About this site. I agree with Irene on this one, there are so many questions that have been left. I wont sign it, but I would rather go up and look for myself.

Monsun
Yearling

Postby Monsun » Sun May 17, 2009 7:49 am

If you are in a position to go and see for yourself, please bring back photos of the horses in questions, who were transferred there in early spring. Especially seniors/special care horses such as Little Bear, Joe, Rocky, Tanka, Teddy, Gaia.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun May 17, 2009 8:36 am

Thank You Monsun
But I think you need to be aware if the horses are in bad shape a couple months wont really give them a very health glow versus a year time. The last three years I spent rescueing all types of horses. And their body crashes and changes when you try to help them. Im not meaning to sound negative or put negativity in your post here, but time heals alot.
Karen

Monsun
Yearling

Postby Monsun » Sun May 17, 2009 8:59 am

Therein lies the problem. The horses supposedly were not in bad shape when they were transferred.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun May 17, 2009 9:05 am

Difficult to say, Im leaving Monday.
My friend and I received five mares that had health cert in exchange for land. The transportation was a two day trip. When they came out, one died, they were so malnurished that they were on deaths door step. They had lice, the hips, shoulder blades, ribs were sticking out. Yet the vet passed them as in good conditon and okay to transport. My friend actaully has a statement from the vet.
She wrote back saying that one horse died and the others looked horrible and the vet still stated that they were fine. We have pictures. But some peoples opinion of a horse that if okay to transport esp if they passed the coggins is very different from that of what others think.
I still would like to sue the owners and that vet in Utah. It took us 17 months to get their body score up to a five
Karen

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Sun May 17, 2009 10:18 am

Monsun wrote:Therein lies the problem. The horses supposedly were not in bad shape when they were transferred.

Then maybe they should have been left where they were :!:

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun May 17, 2009 12:42 pm

This really needs to be moved to the horses in need section.

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Sun May 17, 2009 1:56 pm

Georgerz wrote:This really needs to be moved to the horses in need section.

Yes it should......

NorthStar
Allowance Winner

Postby NorthStar » Sun May 17, 2009 3:19 pm

ireneinwa wrote:
Monsun wrote:Therein lies the problem. The horses supposedly were not in bad shape when they were transferred.

Then maybe they should have been left where they were :!:

FACTS:

1.The original rescue, that had the horses in Washington, has vet, volunteer and outside observer statements and pics to attest to how well they were cared for, before the rescue had to close down, due to lack of funding and inability to continue the level of care for the horses.

2. That rescue transferred all the horses that she could not find good homes for (even with outside help, including Spokane County officials and 4-H people) to an equine rescue she thought would take good care of them, in Idaho.

3. She even went to live at this rescue after all the horses were transferred, to volunteer and to be with the horses she loved and cared for, for years.

I opine (based upon stated facts) that she chose this rescue mostly because she would be able to go with the horses and continue to be a part of their lives. Some say she is hard to reason with. I do not know. I think I'd be hard to reason with if someone treated horses as pictured in those pictures.

4. Allegedly, when she saw the reality of the way the rescue operated (nothing like the alleged good reputation), she quite naturally fought with the person to get him to do better by the horses.

I'm imagining, since I was not there in person, that when someone is upset and trying to get help for horses she sees deteriorating before her eyes and this Glover person does not even call a vet for a colicking horse that is not improving, but instead takes out a gun and shoots the horse, but then blames the woman for prolonging the horse's suffering because she begged him not to do that--I know I would not be a very civil person to deal with under that set of circumstances.

5. The woman (and her reaction) was deemed to be the problem and thrown off the property, by Sheriff that she called. She also called ISDA and HSUS. There is an ongoing investigation.

The State Vet is in charge, but has failed to remove the horses. Facts seem to be that this Glover person claimed the horses arrived like that. Facts absolutely can and will show that to be a total false statement.

There are many facts, not good for the horses remaining at that rescue, that will need to take time to come out for all to fall into place, legally. The horses cannot wait.

6. This is a small town, with what appears to be a good 'ol boy network firmly in place. The authorities may be possibly hesitant because they recently had to return a big seizure to the abusers.

We are trying to help the government entities to be more proactive and to err on the side of the horses, if need be, and not the side of this rescue that has indicated, through provable action, it cannot give these horses humane and responsible care. There is much proof supporting their removal and much proof supporting their good condition before they went to where they are now. There is no time to waste. 2 horses have already died. Some may be missing, as documentation as to their wherabouts is said to be not forthcoming.

My reason for wanting to help is only to get those horses out of there. They cannot wait for the "he said/she said" to sort itself out. That rescue has 90+ horses on mostly 8 or 9 acres. A published article claims he lives on Disability, yet it also states he builds fences, stacks hay, etc. It also states (Dec. 2008) that he was looking for something to help him out of his situation where he needed to refi his adj. mtg and help with funding. Since these horses were supported quite a bit by the Fans of Barbaro, it may be, he saw taking these horses as a "meal ticket" in the making. Don't know but I cannot fathom anyone, with any kind of responsible brain or conscience, taking more horses if he couldn't afford to care for the ones already there and depending on him.

Article referenced above is linked below. Be sure to view the slide show which shows how he keeps hay out in the open in round bales.

http://tuesdayshorse.wordpress.com/2008 ... ss-horses/

Slide Show : http://www.dailyevergreen.com/multimedi ... index.html

You have to use your own conscience as your guide as to whether signing a petition acting the authorities to act is against anyone's best interest.

ISDA report from another board:
To: wizardtrix86 (418 of 739)

35495.418 in reply to 35495.417

IDAHO STATE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE – ANIMAL INDUSTRIES CASE INVESTIGATION FORM

I did contact Jim Kennedy, Regional Supervisor for the Idaho Brand Department about this complaint.

That same evening I received the first of many emails to come from Debbie Richmond regarding her

concerns for horses at Orphan Acres (see attached). I did respond to several of her emails requesting

more information and clarification on some issues and concerns. She alleged she sent 31 horses to Orphan

Acres in Idaho from her facility in Newport, Washington during the month of February 2009. She alleged

her horses were all in good weight and good to excellent health with the exception of “Teddy” a blind

Appaloosa gelding, which required veterinary attention to his right hind frog when they were transported

to Orphan Acres. This statement was supported by Dennis, Koesel, DVM during an interview. He reported

having been at Ms. Richmond’s facility in Newport, Washington on January 28, 2009, within 1-2 weeks

prior to her horses being sent to Orphan Acres. He told me he was “pleasantly surprised” to find the

horses at her facility were all in good conditions and body weights. He told me there may have been one

that was a little thin, otherwise they were well conditioned. He stated there were 25-30 horses present.

He told me he believed they were “very well taken care of.”

During my email exchanges with Ms. Richmond, she provided me with photographs of the horses she was

concerned about at Orphan Acres, which included others besides the ones she had shipped there. She

expressed concern for “Jackie” a sorrel mare that was very thin and for a gelding with an injured

fetlock that was on the premises. She stated she was generally concerned for the way the horses were

housed, which she alleged caused less dominant and thin horses to have restricted access to appropriate

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexbrow ... =35495.418