Iap Going to Work With the Retarded

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Marsalon
Yearling

Iap Going to Work With the Retarded

Postby Marsalon » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Sorry, for the insensitive, politically incorrect word but I'm drawing a blank. Today we delivered our sweet gelding, Iap, to a therapy center for challenged kids and adults. The I-man is 4 years old and an unraced son of Decarchy. While the I-man never passed muster at the training track, he had quite a reputation here as a lover. He would put his head over the fence and beg for attention all day long and is just as kind as can be.

Working with the disabled is simply his calling and he'll be really happy in his new home. When these people called us last week I said, "Wow, do I ever have a horse for you!" Thirty grand down the tubes but lots of good karma bank-rolled on this one!! :)
Last edited by Marsalon on Thu May 26, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Marsalon, not to put a damper on things here, but be SURE to absolutely check this out. "Therapeutic riding programs" are the new lie for kill buyers. They all say that. I am dealing with a situation right now in SoCal where a man gave away his race filly under this false pretenses only to now find out that it is absolutely bogus. We are now desperately searching for this mare, as the man is very upset that she has now gone through several hands, all of which are horse dealers. The people she was given to didn't even own her for a week. They never had such a program.

Visit this place yourself, and write up a contract that when they sell the horse, they have to offer him to you first, as even the real programs tend to downsize their horses to almost anyone. I hate to be a downer, but honestly, I haven't found ONE of these therapuetic riding programs so far that were legitimate. I know they are out there, but they are not soliciting racehorses.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

Marsalon
Yearling

Postby Marsalon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:33 pm

No, I checked these folks out, toured their facility, looked at their other horses, and delivered my horse to them, myself.

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:59 pm

Glad to hear it; you did everything right. It's very sad how these vultures prey on people who are trying to give their horse a soft landing. They often come to see the horse with their young daughters, then drive off and it's cash to them in 30 minutes at the local feedlot. :(
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:41 pm

majxmom wrote:Marsalon, not to put a damper on things here, but be SURE to absolutely check this out. "Therapeutic riding programs" are the new lie for kill buyers. They all say that. I am dealing with a situation right now in SoCal where a man gave away his race filly under this false pretenses only to now find out that it is absolutely bogus. We are now desperately searching for this mare, as the man is very upset that she has now gone through several hands, all of which are horse dealers. The people she was given to didn't even own her for a week. They never had such a program.

Visit this place yourself, and write up a contract that when they sell the horse, they have to offer him to you first, as even the real programs tend to downsize their horses to almost anyone. I hate to be a downer, but honestly, I haven't found ONE of these therapuetic riding programs so far that were legitimate. I know they are out there, but they are not soliciting racehorses.

There is a theraputic riding program in PA that used to make the majority of money in their budget from sending horses that were donated to them to New Holland. They would accept anything and everything as a donation knowing if the horse wasn't suitable they would get cash another way. If that isn't disgusting enough he was the head of the PA racing commission! I don't live there anymore so I don't know if that is still going on or not, I sure hope not.