Very sad story

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Very sad story

Postby Crystal » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:53 pm

I recently purchased a mare thorough a consignor who was representing a dispersal sale for a older couple who were getting out of the business.

It turns out this couple in their late 80s' are selling their farm and moving into a retirement home. The husband made this decision for his wife who he feared would not be able to care for their over 300 acre farm if something ever happened to him.

The wife is devistated and concerned about what is going to happen to her horses. This couple has bred, raced, and retired these horses and sometimes their dams as well. They have been in the business over 30 years. They have accepted an offer on their farm and they as well as their horses have to be off the property by Dec 31st.

A friend of mine spoke to the wife today and she was in TEARS about the idea that they will have to put down her 30 year old broodmare. The very mare they started out with simply because she cannot find a home for her. We are doing what we can this weekend to help find a rescue or retirement group that may take this mare. But I definetly wanted to put the word out.

She is a sweet mare who is in excellent health. She has an 18 year old companion with her that she would like to see her go with her, but 1st priority is the older mare. These horses are located just outside Timonium Maryland on the owners farm.

She is free to a good home with people that will stay in touch with this older couple. Again, they are the SWEETEST people and had both me and my friend Balling Our Eyes Out when they told us about the situation with the mare.

I'm open to look into any suggestions or recommendations for these folks because I just want to help them feel comfortable with the home there mare would get.

Email, PM or call me (845)332-8292

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:51 am

Why not the idea of boarding the mare close to their retirement home? Then she could visit the old mare and know she's safe.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:07 am

Excellent idea Irene. Thirty years old - what a testament to their great care.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

Sunday Rider
Allowance Winner

Postby Sunday Rider » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:33 am

Any news on the mare and couple???