Standardbred rescue

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Standardbred rescue

Postby Derby Lyn » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:34 pm

I was just curious as to why standardbred racehorse rescue is not as popular as thoroughbred rescue? I know that tb's can be easier to rehome, but both breeds work and race for us. When I go to the feedlot it is full of standardbreds. Is there any track rules at standardbred tracks like they have now enforced at thoroughbred tracks, where trainers will be punished for sending them to slaughter?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:20 pm

I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in KY the demand for harness trained Standardbreds after racing is very high - the Amish snap them up. I also know the Standardbred foal crops are a Whole Lot smaller than TB crops.

I researched and wrote an article on horse slaughter a number of years ago, when slaughter plants were still operating in the US. I got the "rolls" from one plant's operation for six weeks and don't recall even ONE Standardbred on the list (they did process 1660 Quarter Horses, though, and somewhere around 160 TB's, during that time).

So anyhow, I think there aren't really any Standardbred "rescues" around because there just isn't a need there.... better to ask the question, why aren't there any Quarter Horse rescues?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:22 pm

The Amish in Pa and North Ohio also buy a lot of standardbreds - I would imagine its the same anywhere there are Amish.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:45 pm

There are a number of Standardbred rescues out there, most seem to be in Cali or NY (not as many Amish thereabouts).

There is a Standardbred Rertirement Foundation as well, but I've no idea if they work as closely with the actual racetracks at their TB counterpart.

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:50 pm

There is the Ontario Standardbred Adoption Society www.osas.ca

Linda_d
Starters Handicap

Postby Linda_d » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Lucy wrote:There are a number of Standardbred rescues out there, most seem to be in Cali or NY (not as many Amish thereabouts).

There is a Standardbred Rertirement Foundation as well, but I've no idea if they work as closely with the actual racetracks at their TB counterpart.

There are lots of Amish in Upstate NY but I think most of the racing Standardbreds are in the NYC/NJ area. The Amish probably buy up most of the Standardbreds racing in WNY.
"you cannot be brilliant if you cannot run" -- bdw0617

skywatcher
Maiden Special Weight

Postby skywatcher » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:03 pm

There's a lot of prejudice against standardbreds due to misinformation.

They can be hard to place becasue a lot of people don't know what fabulous riding horses they make after their racing careeer is over.

Anyway here is a bunch of links to different groups in NA that focus on them

http://www.standardbredfanclub.com/organizations.html

Lisann
Allowance Winner

Postby Lisann » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:11 pm

One of my good friends growing up showed a STB in 4-H. He was a nice hunter horse - still showing over fences at 19 y/o.

She and I were quite successful showing in pairs classes - what a sight we were - her on a 16.2hh STB and me on a barely 15hh 1/2 Arab.

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:43 pm

I've rescued a few trotters from the feedlot and they all turned out to be fantastic riding horses. They are so easy to break b/c they are already cart trained. There are not that many amish farms here in MI like in PA. But the feedlot here is always full of standardbreds and QH's mostly.