More than 7000 american horses sent to meat

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Re: More than 7000 american horses sent to meat

Postby skeenan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:37 am

There's everything wrong with the whole system. I just read yesterday that 1,700 Mustangs were sent to slaughter by the BLM selling them to a known kill buyer, and they're trying to pretend they didn't know where they ended up. The horses that end up in a slaughter yard or meat auction are all kinds; former racehorses, show horses, outgrown ponies... they're not "unusable" or "bad" horses, they ended up in a bad situation. I follow a few auction yards on Facebook... there are horses every week that I'd take in a heartbeat. I've seen Warmbloods, Paso Finos, even a Swedish Gotland pony, a very rare breed. They aren't raised for meat, they aren't chosen for meat, it's a poor outlet to control a larger overpopulation problem and a dumping ground for those who should never own horses to begin with. If I'm ever destitute, God forbid, and can no longer care for mine... I'd have the vet put them down before sending them to an auction house, if that was the last two choices I had.

Look at the Dixieland Band mare that was just rescued a few weeks ago that I posted: Sehna. I would have loved to have her. Explain how a horse who sold for $45,000 in 2008 ends up in a feedlot auction... it's sad. And she had a foal with her.

I'd love breed registries to follow the standards of the Warmbloods... every horse has to be approved to receive papers. Stallions go through a 90-day test (I know that doesn't apply to racehorse TBs, but would be relevant with other breeds), mares are tested for talent and conformation before being approved as broodmares. Yearlings also have to pass an inspection. It would help to reduce not only the sheer overall numbers of some breeds (it adds significantly to the expense, training and preparation of foals, broodmares and stallions), but force-improves the breed quality... I looked at the posted papers of one QH in an auction yard... gorgeous horse, but so inbred he was like that song, "I'm My Own Grandpa".

I realize it doesn't help the "backyard breeders" scenario... but, IMO, it would be a start. There are just too many horses, not enough (good) homes.

ides of ice
Maiden Special Weight

Re: More than 7000 american horses sent to meat

Postby ides of ice » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:22 pm

Slaughter will [b]never end;we just have to do our best to limit the numbers...
He that lives in a glass house throws no stones.