Pedigree Query
https://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/

More than 7000 american horses sent to meat
https://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34150
Page 1 of 3

Author:  Sylvie Hebert [ Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:34 am ]
Post subject:  More than 7000 american horses sent to meat

More than 7000 horses sent to meat in Canada from one single Pennsylvania buyer Brian Moore....

http://theethicsofequinerescue.blogspot ... moore.html

Author:  Nancy T [ Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:41 am ]
Post subject: 

And Billions of cows, chickens, sheep, goats. We are a meat eaters. I have no problem so long as they are handled with decency and I would rather see them slaughtered humanely in the USA under FDA regulations rather than starve or be shoved on a truck to Canada or Mexico. My biggest worry is that they are slaughtering animals for human consumption without taking into consideration the fact that horses are given dozens of medications.

Author:  kezeli [ Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:23 am ]
Post subject: 

This is the issue, the transporting of the horses is not in any way humane. Canada has a better/more humane slaughter system than we do in the US as they are using Tempel Gradin's ideas on handling. It's the transport that is hell and needs to be delt with ASAP.....or...... renew the prossesing in the US with better methods.

Author:  Jessi P [ Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:13 am ]
Post subject: 

Nancy T wrote:
And Billions of cows, chickens, sheep, goats. We are a meat eaters. I have no problem so long as they are handled with decency and I would rather see them slaughtered humanely in the USA under FDA regulations rather than starve or be shoved on a truck to Canada or Mexico. My biggest worry is that they are slaughtering animals for human consumption without taking into consideration the fact that horses are given dozens of medications.


Nancy I couldn't agree with you more! I was a horse crazy young girl who spent the last 25 years at the racetrack following my dream of making a living working with horses as an owner, trainer, breeder, groom, and gallop girl. Along the way my love for horses has remained steadfast but I have learned a few things about the economic reality of horses and horse ownership. They are not companion animals, as much as some would have us believe so. I have come to recognize that slaughter is NEEDED in the USA - nobody likes it but it is a fact. By throwing up our hands and outlawing slaughter all we did as a nation was make things worse for the horses who now must be trucked to Canada or Mexico to be slaughtered under unknown, often inhumane conditions - as Kezeli pointed out. We need to allow slaughter in the US under proper regulations and oversight to make sure that conditions are humane for both transport and the slaughter process. I don't know how we can help the anti-slaughter people to understand that, short of dropping off all the horses fit only for slaughter on their front lawn. I am so glad to hear a fellow horse lover speak from the voice of reason regarding this matter - so many folks explain their anti-slaughter point of view fraught with emotion, drama and with a "save the poor horsies" mentality that really doesn't accomplish much other than to get people upset. As has been pointed out - we slaughter cows, chickens, goats, pigs, all sorts of animals that people have no problem with - but it must be done humanely on all avenues.

Author:  madelyn [ Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

I, too, am a horse LOVER, and that has been my point of view, exactly, for over a decade. I am not anti-slaughter, I am pro HUMANE handling, transport & slaughter.

Author:  Jeff [ Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'd rather be a 1/2 starved abused horse that manages to live to 30 years out in the backyard, than a well treated nag at the slaughterhouse, but that's just me.

I hope everybody everywhere eating horse meat, chokes to death right now.

Jeff

Author:  pfrsue [ Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jeff wrote:
I'd rather be a 1/2 starved abused horse that manages to live to 30 years out in the backyard, than a well treated nag at the slaughterhouse, but that's just me.


I guess it depends on what your opinion is about quality of life, Jeff. 30 years of misery, hunger and abuse isn't a plan I'd willingly sign up for, but that's just me.

Author:  Nancy T [ Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm sorry but advocating starvation and abuse as a viable alternative to slaughter is just stupid.

Author:  Sylvie Hebert [ Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 am ]
Post subject: 

Agreed Nancy T

Author:  madelyn [ Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:32 am ]
Post subject: 

Hm. Jeff, have you ever had a horse euthanized? It does not look like a painless end to me.. there is the first big whump when the knees buckle and the horse hits the ground (not dead yet, just dying) maybe a whimper, sometimes a death thrash, etc., and then finally dead. And that is from the $200 shot from the vet. Typically this is the end of some form of misery - founder, broken bones, etc., so the owner's relief tends to ameloriate the memory of the actual process.

At the slaughterhouse, the horse is euthanized with the bolt gun which immediately renders the horse unconscious; death occurs a few moments later. (Well this is what was done in the US - my understanding is that in Mexico it is just horrible - they use an ice pick).

Now, at the end of either action, why is it of any importance whatsoever what is done with the horse's BODY?

Author:  Sylvie Hebert [ Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:57 am ]
Post subject: 

euthanasia here is done in 2 steps one shot to tranq make the horse sleep,second shop stops the beating hearth,no trashing....very smooth.
At the plant the captive bolt is often missed and the horse really panic and trash...see
http://defendhorsescanada.org/investiga ... e-to-plate


you will realize that it is not so quick and painful plus the horses as soon as they get close to the building know and are in a frenzy state,
I HAVE BEEN THERE TRU THE WHOLE PROCESS>>>
I am firmly against it,not because I think meat from horses is worst than from chicken...(although I am vegetarian)but because I know what they go tru...all animals,especially horses that we raised and trained as partners not to hate humans or be scared of them.

Author:  Jeff [ Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hmm:....... Madalyn,


Horses that i breed and own don't go to the slaughterhouse, they die of old age and are buried on my properties. If you really must, you are welcome to come dig around out back and see if yoi can dig one of them up. Feel free to munch away. Cause after all: at the end, why is it of any importance whatsoever what is done with the BODY?




madelyn wrote:
Hm. Jeff, have you ever had a horse euthanized? It does not look like a painless end to me.. there is the first big whump when the knees buckle and the horse hits the ground (not dead yet, just dying) maybe a whimper, sometimes a death thrash, etc., and then finally dead. And that is from the $200 shot from the vet. Typically this is the end of some form of misery - founder, broken bones, etc., so the owner's relief tends to ameloriate the memory of the actual process.

At the slaughterhouse, the horse is euthanized with the bolt gun which immediately renders the horse unconscious; death occurs a few moments later. (Well this is what was done in the US - my understanding is that in Mexico it is just horrible - they use an ice pick).

Now, at the end of either action, why is it of any importance whatsoever what is done with the horse's BODY?

Author:  Waternymph [ Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:07 am ]
Post subject: 

I was very dissapointed to read, that for some of you horse slaughter is human and normal. There is NO HUMAN slaughter for any animals but specially not for horses. And to say that they are not companion animals that is really shocking, this really means you have no idea about horses at all. Probably it takes a longer time for TB to retrain them, but it WORKS they are amazing and clever animals. Dont forget, you are the one forcing them to RUN and work on the racetruck, so thats the only life they know, and accusing them of being nervous and impossible is so unfair, its not their fault its only YOURS. So its also your responsibility to give them another chance. Shame on you people, be better if you would change profession, you have no idea about horses at all..........

Author:  kezeli [ Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:46 am ]
Post subject: 

Jeff, waternymph, no one likes the idea of sending horses to slaughter, I don't think anyone here is saying that is something they wish to do or do. But the point is how the horses are handled in the process. This is happening and it needs to be addressed. Humane slaughter is possiable if the facility is clean and they can't smell blood or hear others suffering. It can be done and needs to be looked into rather than living on denile street and pretending it is not happening when it is and most brutally.

Author:  Diane [ Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:04 am ]
Post subject: 

This thread isn't a place for placing blame. Waternymph the accusations you are making could be interpreted to mean you either don't know anything about horseracing and you joined our group to learn more about it or you are a troll.
Anyone who has watched a group of yearlings in the field can see they love to run. No one forces them to do it in the field or on the track.
What we as horse lovers try to advocate 1) sound horses don't get sent to slaughter. 2) horses that are slaughtered are treated humanely as long as they are alive.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/