New Mexico Slaughterhouse.

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

New Mexico Slaughterhouse.

Postby Georgerz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:40 pm

The PETA fanatics most be absolutely besides themselves. Horse slaughter will be ok in New Mexico, the plant to open in a few weeks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/1 ... 09148.html

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:30 am

I am not a PETA fanatic, just someone who loves and respects the animals that are purposely bred, and when they do not or are not able to win the greedy owners money, they are thrown away like trash. Its the chronic breeders that are feeding these slaughterhouses with horses they once "cared for" and those that do so should be truly ashamed of themselves.

I dare you chronic breeders to watch some of the youtube videos of a beautiful, perfectly fine horse, but just because he did not run fast enough, a horrible death follows him. I dare you all to watch it. Bet you don't.

How anyone can call themselves a human is beyond me. These stallion "standers" that are calling me all the time to breed my Metfield mare cannot answer me when I ask them what are they doing to help the overpopulation they themselves are creating.

Some of you almost think its 'funny' that this slaughterhouse is opening by the way of your posts. I think everyone should be sent to spend a day there when YOUR horse goes to its untimely fate.

This is truly sick, and that's why this industry is going down, down, down.

And, before anyone tries to chirp up and say "well the Qh people are just as bad" I remind you this is a TB forum and thus we are speaking of them.

If you cared about your "sport" then take action to not breed constantly for that one diamond in the midst of many there, and support the actions of those who are against slaughtering our companion animals. :P
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:24 pm

TB's are not generally "companion animals" - I think of seeing eye dogs as companion animals.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:59 pm

I am kinda confused on this statement ,"In the effort to stop the New Mexico slaughterhouse from opening, four members of Congress introduced legislation this week (referenced in the Humane Society statement) designed to prohibit transporting horses outside the country for slaughter.The legislation would block the New Mexico slaughterhouse, as it plans to sell its meat to customers in non-U.S. markets."

Because wouldn't the horses be dead and carved up for sale of meat. The Bill said that it can't sell horses for slaughter to outside the U.S. How is it blocking this slaughter house.
Peta is shooting themselves in the foot in regards to the wild horses here. The BLM give shots to the mares to stop them from having more foals for a few years, but when the BLM introduced castration, Peta came and screamed the it was unethical. And my first thought was, well why aren't you knocking on my door because I do hire a vet to geld my riding horses. Whats the big deal? I think gelding stallions to control the population is a great idea. The shot for birth control makes the stallions more aggressive and they fight more because the mares go into heat more and more and it drives the stallions to confusion. They have been more likely to get attacked by a wild animal and walk around in pain - suffer ect. But Peta doesn't understand that, they don't go and watch these animals in action at all. But here we can and we see it alot. The mustangs are so close to ranches, it's nice but they do bring in more predators.
As far as limiting breeding- I don't know what to say. There are so many QH / Paints/ Arab/ Morgan breeders that have halter horses that " Look" good to bred that it is getting out of control. Yesterday I came back from SLC and there were 25 horses ready to go to the holding plant in Utah on I-80. That is in one week. So monthly we are talking close to 100 head going.
My gelding is getting close to his time and no way in Hell would I ever send him down there.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:49 am

http://www.habitatforhorses.org/man-sho ... urce=pubv1

if you have watched this video,you now know what lack of respect and nastiness is...
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:00 pm

f you have watched this video,you now know what lack of respect and nastiness is...

Almost its not as bad when the horses get into the factory. I don't think that the moderators would want me to go into detail but that man was saving that horse from the first step of the torture. Anyone want to know just Pm me...
K

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:16 pm

Upton Sinclair goes into it in detail in The Jungle. You don't need to tell us Karen most of us know. That's why we pay so much to have our horses euthanized and hauled off. We know. We don't talk about it here because we come here to get away from the hard things the day brings.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Horse slaughter has been approved in Oklahoma.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:37 pm

ides of ice
Maiden Special Weight

Re:

Postby ides of ice » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:54 am

Georgerz wrote:Horse slaughter has been approved in Oklahoma.

Do you have a link to prove this?
He that lives in a glass house throws no stones.