Additions to "Country of Birth"

Specific input regarding the pedigree side of the site- generating reports, compiling data, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

Roguelet

Additions to "Country of Birth"

Postby Roguelet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:16 am

It was brought to my attention that Cuba is not an available choice under "Country of Birth" when selecting information while adding a horse; therefore Cuban-foaled horses have been added without their proper place of birth. So, a suggestion would be to add Cuba to the drop-down list.
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:34 am

Something about another country, could ''Holand'' be changed in ''Holland'' please?
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

camarero1956
Suckling

Postby camarero1956 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:02 am

By adding Cuba to the rest of the countries of origin in DelMar Pedigree Query we would be able to rescue part of the history of thoroughbred racing that is almost lost to time as well as honor the breeders and horse people that contributed to the horse industry in that country.

There is no horse racing in Cuba nowadays, but back in the first half of the 20th Century horse racing was big at this Caribbean island, in fact many horses with American connections ran there. As an example, Sweepilla who was the grandam Broodmare of the Year, Siama ran in Cuba where she won the Cuban Juvenile Stakes in 1931; Mlle. Dazie (dam of Jamestown), won the Marianao Handicap and was third in the Cuban Derby. Cuban racing charts would be documented in the American Racing Manual and the births of cuban-breds also showed up in the American Stud Book.

Adding Cuba to Del Mar Pedigree Query will allow us pedigree geek (like me!) to enhance the information found in the website as well as correct the country of origin of many of the cuban-breds that now show up as U.S. bred. Among the cuban breds are the progeny of Boatswain (by Man o’ War), Jai Hind (by Nearco) and other stallions.

As a curious note even though thoroughbred racing had ceased there, cuban stallions were advertised in the 1976 stallion register by The Blood Horse. Among them were Acantilado, Alme (Cuba bred but shown as USA bred in Del Mar PedQuery), Doc Lander, Escape Hatch, Granate, Guana Cana (shown as gelding in Del Mar PedQuery), Mi Bandera, Negrito shown as being located at Finca Romero in Artemisa, Cuba.

Regards,
Rosana

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:02 am

Welcome to the forum, thank you for the info about Cuban racing.

Lizard
Site Admin

Postby Lizard » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:46 pm

Cuba has been added to the country list and Holland is now spelled correctly.

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:05 am

That's great!

camarero1956
Suckling

Cuba

Postby camarero1956 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:18 am

Lizard:

Thank you very much!!!

:D
Rosana

MadEyeJude
Newborn

Re: Additions to "Country of Birth"

Postby MadEyeJude » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:02 am

I would suggest another country being added as country of birth: Qatar (QA)

I was trying to add some horses bred there from Umm Qarn Stud, but stopped as I didnt want to leave blanks in the pedigree.

If someone could add this country, this would be nice :)

Lizard
Site Admin

Postby Lizard » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:12 am

MadEyeJude wrote:I would suggest another country being added as country of birth: Qatar (QA)

I was trying to add some horses bred there from Umm Qarn Stud, but stopped as I didnt want to leave blanks in the pedigree.

If someone could add this country, this would be nice :)

Qatar has been added to our list of countries.

MadEyeJude
Newborn

Postby MadEyeJude » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 am

Thank you Lizard for adding Qatar to the list :)

cissiny71
Newborn

Re:

Postby cissiny71 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:43 am

Lizard wrote:Cuba has been added to the country list and Holland is now spelled correctly.

Just a thought - I think that Holland should be changed to the more correct Netherlands. Sure, in daily speaking, I often refer to horses or people coming from Holland but the correct country is Netherlands. (A bit like using Great Britain or United Kingdom instead of England).

Best wishes,
Cissi in Sweden