Turn to Count- any info on his family?

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

doublete
Allowance Winner

Turn to Count- any info on his family?

Postby doublete » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:44 pm

This is my colt that was just diagnosed with EPM- trying to determine if he does have a backup plan as a stud. His race career was decent.
I highly doubt he is valuable as a race stallion, but it's worth checking into I guess.
Racing and retraining.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:37 am

The female family is decent but far from spectacular -- it would help a lot if he was a half or full sib to a major SW. Since he's not by a horse noted as a sire of sires, I'd have to guess his stud potential as being pretty limited even in a regional market unless he's an exceptional good looker/mover that might find a niche as a sporthorse or hunter sire.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:55 pm

Thanks for the answer.

Are any of his half siblings racing still? Is there any way for someone to pull up if he's got younger siblings either?

He is a good looking horse, but I guess time will tell as to whether he comes back to be useful as a show horse (to promote him to the sporthorse world).
Racing and retraining.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:20 pm

He has an older half brother by Foxhound who hasn't managed to win or place in twelve starts and a younger half brother by Devil Power who has yet to start. The closest black type is Somebody Else, a half sister to Turn to Count's dam that won a listed stakes at age four and two non-listed black type stakes at age six.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:14 pm

ha.. doesn't sound like his mom produced much... oh well. :D
Racing and retraining.

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:45 pm

Katie,

His dam is only a 1995, so give her a chance yet....his 3rd dam produced 2 stakes horses including Roanoke Island who if I remember right was a decent sire in the early 70's. His dam is a 1/2 sister to a stakes mare who is also producing at the moment but the family is young.
His sire stands in LA for $3000 was a G3 stakes winner of $677K. So he has a decent sire, just not much name recognition, up here in the north but he has sired winners of over 4mil and his largest crop are 3yr olds this year and his 2004 earnings are over $1M and is #4 on the LA sire list (when you go to thebloodhorse.com do a sire list search for LA there is a picture of him and his stats.

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:06 pm

Hmm, interesting. I did know his sire was still a 'fairly new' one, and that when we bought TC as a 2 y/o he didn't have much racing- also was told that his line matures VERY late, like as 4 year olds, so hopefully this crop that TC is in will bloom by next year.
Racing and retraining.