History Help on a Stallion named LOCAL circa 1874

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

tackroom
Suckling

History Help on a Stallion named LOCAL circa 1874

Postby tackroom » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:51 pm

After a trip to my county historical society (a county in northern ohio) looking for information about horse racing at my county fair i came across this curious entry:

The celebrated thorough-bred Stallion LOCAL, will run a dash of one mile on the last day of the Fair. All lovers of fine horses should not fail to see this celebrated race horse; he has no superior in this country which his record will show.

All entries of fast horses must be made on or before the 3d of October, 1874, as the books will positively be closed after that date.

Anybody have any information they could share on this horse? Or know where i might look to find more information: if he really did show-up at our fair and run his dash?

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:46 pm

This is likely the horse you're looking for:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/local3

As for his being at your local fair, you'd probably find that info in a chartbook for that month (if you can locate one), or you could see if any of the local newspapers would have archives going back that far.

Good luck! :)

tackroom
Suckling

Postby tackroom » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:45 pm

For anybody that may come across this thread and be interested in this horse, here's what i found in an old Ohio newspaper dated November 29, 1877 about the stallion named LOCAL.

Captain J.W. Stout, of New York City, owner of the thoroughbred stallion Local, offers him for sale cheap. See advertisement for particulars.

The advertisement read as follows:
The Celebrated Stallion LOCAL For Sale
The Thoroughbred Stallion LOCAL will be sold for one-half his value, as the owner cannot give the horse the care and attention required. There is no better bred horse in America than LOCAL, besides he was a first-class racer in his day. He ran the fastest time for the West-Chester Cup, 2-1/4 miles, at Jerome Park, N.Y. ever ran on that track. He is sound and of fine disposition. If properly introduced, will earn more than his cost the first season. The get of LOCAL will convince any one of his superior breeding. Wayne County should not lose this fine horse.
The purchaser can have six months time by giving satisfactory security. Price $750.00.
For pedigree, and particulars call at the stables at Mechanicsburg, Wayne county, O., where the horse can be seen.
S.P. STOUT.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:24 pm

That's definitely Local 1863 ch c x Lightning - Maroon x *Glencoe. He won the Westchester Cup at 5.