Steeplechaser pedigrees

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Steeplechaser pedigrees

Postby vineyridge » Sat May 09, 2009 4:11 pm

A lot of British, Irish and French chasers are not pure TB. They run against purebreds and are very high percentage TB, but they have other blood in there.

I'm trying to do research on a whole bunch of them in line with my jumping obsession, and was wondering if PQ still allows them. Allbreed is not very helpful for this.

Would they be welcome here?
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Sat May 09, 2009 5:17 pm

Once they are accepted to the regular registry, yes - but the pedigrees should only be entered as far as they are TB. For instance, if the horse is accepted as TB, so are his first three dams, but his fourth dam is not, the pedigree should only be entered as far as the third dam. What I generally do in such cases is put a link to the third dam's pedigree page in the All-Breed database in both the 'website' field and the comment field, so those who want to explore the pedigree further can do so.

A good rule of thumb is to look them up at Equineline. If they are there, they're definitely TB. They aren't foolproof, though - especially with NH horses - so it's good to put in a little more research. Weatherby's site is less user-friendly, but more complete in this regard...and for recent pedigrees, Racingpost.com's horse search can be very useful.

The All-Breed database is a great help here as well, because it can tell you if a horse listed as 'unknown pedigree' really is of another breed, or if the pedigree is just too old & obscure to be listed online (often the case with pre-WWII lines that didn't breed on).

Feel free to PM me if you need help with anyone specific. :)