Russian Thoroughbreds prior to ~1940 - first bunch

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

russianhorses
Suckling

Russian Thoroughbreds prior to ~1940 - first bunch

Postby russianhorses » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:44 am

Hi,

I am looking for the pedigrees of a bunch of Russian Thoroughbreds, though some may have been imported to Russia rsp. the USSR. So far I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Here's the first lot of them:

1. Barbe, colt, studbook number 243 (born 1928 or earlier)
2. Berden, colt (born 1927 or earlier)
3. Blondelli, colt, studbook number 254 (born 1925 or earlier)
4. Bunchuk (or Bunjuk, Bundshuk, Bunzhuk etc.), colt, studbook number 716 (born 1932 or earlier)
5. Burlak, colt (born 1908 or earlier)

I have no idea whether or not they were raced, I do know they were used in various breeding programs involving thoroughbreds in the USSR.

Liz

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:30 pm

Do you have any idea if they were from the UK, or the USA?

They don't show up in the Sport horse data base, or equineline either.

russianhorses
Suckling

Postby russianhorses » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:40 pm

Hi,

mostly likely they came from Poland, Germany, the UK, Ireland etc.. E.g. one horse which I found in the database is DAGO (by Don Juan) and another is FAUGH-A-BALLAGH (by Fontenoy) who again is the sire of a stallion called Fortingbrass (of whom I am looking for the dam's breeding, she's called Smuglanka). I have some 30-40 Russian TB pedigrees to look up all put together. These here are just the first few :oops:

Russia only lately started to buy US-bred TBs, before that and most certainly before ca. 1945 most of them came from Europe.

Liz

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:25 am

http://books.google.com/books?id=AbGEAA ... q=&f=false

This is the correct era, and FAUGH-A-BALLAGH is mentioned.

The google books might be of use to your research.

russianhorses
Suckling

Postby russianhorses » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:35 am

Hi,

unfortunately I lack both the time and the knowledge to research TBs in that manner.

I need the pedigrees of these Thoroughbreds because they appear in the pedigrees of Russian sporthorses (and THAT is the research I am working on and which takes all my free time).

To most of these Russian TBs I have the relevant Russian studbook numbers. They ought to be easy to find for someone with access to the Russian TB studbooks (which I don't have). Possibly someone also knows about a Russian database where one might look them up?

Liz

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 am

http://books.google.com/books?id=R8wGAA ... q=&f=false

This seems to be a copy of the 1896 General Stud book published by Weatherbys.

Try searching "General Stud Book" in the Google Book search.

Good luck

russianhorses
Suckling

Postby russianhorses » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:53 am

Hi xfactor,

thanks for those links, but they don't help me.

Firstly, only 3 pages are accessible. And then horses I talk about were born somewhen between 1890 and 1940 in Russia and the USSR. I very seriously doubt they would be in Weatherby's studbook. The fact that they do have Russian studbook numbers points towards this.

What I am looking for is someone who has access to the Russian and Soviet TB studbooks, that's where I suppose they can be found. :)

Liz

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:15 am

If you do the search, Google has digitized a whole bunch of the stud books. The 1896 book is simply the first that comes up, but if you look through the list there are later stud books listed. I think there was one as late as 1910. Depending on the book, they either have the whole thing up, or have a PDF that can be downloaded.

And it is worth checking back as they are expanding the database of books all the time.

Don't think they are doing anything but English right now.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:52 am

russianhorses wrote:What I am looking for is someone who has access to the Russian and Soviet TB studbooks, that's where I suppose they can be found. :)

Liz

You might want to try the email link here>
http://www.bloodlines.net/EETH/Email.htm