*CRIGHTON (1889)

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

[email protected]
Maiden Special Weight

*CRIGHTON (1889)

Postby [email protected] » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:28 am

CRIGHTON (Crichton), chestnut horse foaled 1889; bred by James Lee, N.S.W.; imported 1894; owned by A.B. Spreckels, San Francisco, CA. By Clieveden; out of Ghinni Ghinni by Barbarian. CRIGHTON (aka Crichton) was also registered in Australian Stud Book, Vol. 6, pg 157. (From the American Stud Book Vol. 7, pg 1130, under Imported Horses).

Since the ASB had already registered a CRICHTON (foaled 1858 in US)...I'm wondering if the Australian CRICHTON's name was changed to CRIGHTON. Both were chestnut stallion, both ended up in California.
I ask, because I do not have access to the Australian Stud Books.

Thanks, Pat

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: *CRIGHTON (1889)

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:24 pm

[email protected] wrote:CRIGHTON (Crichton), chestnut horse foaled 1889; bred by James Lee, N.S.W.; imported 1894; owned by A.B. Spreckels, San Francisco, CA. By Clieveden; out of Ghinni Ghinni by Barbarian. CRIGHTON (aka Crichton) was also registered in Australian Stud Book, Vol. 6, pg 157. (From the American Stud Book Vol. 7, pg 1130, under Imported Horses).

Since the ASB had already registered a CRICHTON (foaled 1858 in US)...I'm wondering if the Australian CRICHTON's name was changed to CRIGHTON. Both were chestnut stallion, both ended up in California.
I ask, because I do not have access to the Australian Stud Books.

Thanks, Pat

Hi Pat, the 1894 import is probably entered ASB 7 exactly as reported to the JC by his importer Spreckels. Whether that's the same name entered in the AuSB, I don't know. The JC probably would not have changed the name. I believe their practice of using roman numerals for duplicate names dates to vol. 7, which was the first ASB the JC published. (This wouldn't have applied w/ the 1858 Crichton x *Glencoe since he was probably dead by the time Crighton was imported in 1894. But by then the name Crichton was in use by at least one other NorthAm bred, the 1885 br c x Virgil or Glenelg - Annie Hall x Lexington.)

[email protected]
Maiden Special Weight

Postby [email protected] » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:00 pm

Mucho Gracias....hope thats spelled properly.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Pat