Sissy's Print 1990

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

surprisewind
Allowance Winner

Sissy's Print 1990

Postby surprisewind » Wed May 12, 2010 12:52 pm

I'm researching the tattoo on a friend's horse. She recently was given a nice old boy in need of TLC and groceries and she's doing a great job with him.
We are reasonably sure he is Sissy's Print, foaled in 1990. We were able to read all but one number, and so we tried his markings with every possible combination. Two small problems - he is listed as a "horse" not a gelding, and as a dark bay/brown. He is BLACK.

Anyway, can anyone dig up any info on this horse?

Thanks so much!

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Wed May 12, 2010 2:51 pm

Neither of those problems totally rule out the horse being Sissy's Print. Gelding isn't always reported to the Jockey Club...especially if it occurs after a horse is done racing. As for the color, sometimes black horses end up being registered dark bay...but no matter how dark the horse's body is, even if there's just some brown hair around the flanks or muzzle, the horse is not truly black, and was registered correctly as dkb/br.

I added the pedigree for Sissy's Print to the database.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/sissys+print

He was bred in Minnesota by Curtis R. Rohweder, won four times in 36 starts from 1992-95, and placed in a non-black type stake for MN-breds as a three year old.

surprisewind
Allowance Winner

Postby surprisewind » Thu May 13, 2010 1:09 pm

That's what I thought might be the case with the gender issue. If he came off the track as a stallion, and no one wanted to breed him, the gelding wouldn't HAVE to be reported, correct?
This boy is bllllack. But I have only seen him in his spring and winter duds. He may look different as a sun bleached horse.

Thanks so much for the info. I'm 99% convinced this is him - short trip from MN to WY, actually.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Sun May 16, 2010 6:22 pm

True blacks are extremely rare. You may think he is black, but he may be a dark bay. Ive had many dark bays that everyone would think are black, but they arent.

surprisewind
Allowance Winner

Postby surprisewind » Wed May 19, 2010 3:30 pm

You're right, they are rare. I thought his blackness would help ID him - searched him top to bottom for any non-black hair and came back empty. BUT I didn't go quite far enough in my hunt. Sissy's Print is supposed to have a small chestnut spot on the back of his right hind sock. Sure enough, this horse has that chestnut spot and so not only is he Sissy's Print, he is correctly registered as dark bay/brown. The spot is fingertip sized.