Need help with ID of TB mare

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

sawyerbrown
Newborn

Need help with ID of TB mare

Postby sawyerbrown » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi,

I am helping a friend who recently purchased an OTTB mare to keep her from going to auction. She is tattooed, however we have been unable to identify her.

The tattoo reads - J0335 - it is very clear & has the letter J followed by the 4 #'s - there is no 5th #. The "J" would indicate she was foaled in 2006. She is a chestnut mare with little identifying marks except for a white sock on her left hind & a very faint white star.

This mare does not appear to be over 25 years old based on teeth & body condition, but we have hit a dead-end in identifying her.

Can anyone steer us in the right direction or offer any assistance? We have already asked the TB research folks via the Jockey Club but they have not been able to help.

Thanks so much.

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Sun May 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Try AQHA

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Mon May 02, 2011 7:51 pm

AQHA should be numbers followed by a letter.

It might help to have another look at the tattoo using a Wood's lamp. Best used in darkness or heavy shade, it'll reveal heavily faded characters, or parts thereof that are invisible to the naked eye. Veterinarians usually have them.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Mon May 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Are jockey club numbers all in a standard format? I know they designate the year with the first letter, but do they start with for example R1, or R000001 ??

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue May 03, 2011 9:23 pm

xfactor fan wrote:Are jockey club numbers all in a standard format? I know they designate the year with the first letter, but do they start with for example R1, or R000001 ??

They always have a letter followed by five numbers or, if the horse is >25, four or five numbers. The numbers are part of the registration number. Whether those start w/ 00001, I don't know. If the horse is imported it will have an asterisk before the letter.

ETA, if the mare the OP refers to isn't >25 and her tattoo is a single letter followed by no more than four numbers, try the standarbred registry, b/c that's one of their formats. FWIW, in case there's a 5th number that's completely faded out, I ran J03351-J03359 through the tattoo lookup. Found one chestnut mare, a Colorado-bred, unplaced in 2 starts 2009.

sawyerbrown
Newborn

Postby sawyerbrown » Mon May 09, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks so much!

Is the mare you found J03358 - R W's Lil Lady? That may be a possible match - where can I find out more info on her? Where did you find she is Colorado bred?

Or, we also found a possible match by running the letter I instead of the J - comes up I03356 - Asgoodasshelooks - a chestnut mare foaled in 2005 in Fla. -

the description I found fits her very closely, especially the patches of white she has on her back & the left hind stocking with spots of chestnut at the coronet. The facial white doesn't quite fit, they say she has a star & stripe - she does have a few white hairs running down from a star - do they count that as a stripe if it's very very faint?

If this is her, she had a full brother, Watch me Go, running in the Derby this year!

Do you think the trainer, Kathleen O'Connell could be of any help identifying if this is her? How can I contact her?

Any other suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Mon May 09, 2011 11:15 am

Asgoodasshelooks is minor stakes-placed and produced a filly by Parading less than a month ago. Dam and foal both bred by Gilbert G. Campbell, FL. She is almost certainly not the mare your friend has.

sawyerbrown wrote:Is the mare you found J03358 - R W's Lil Lady? That may be a possible match - where can I find out more info on her? Where did you find she is Colorado bred?

Yes, I was referring to R. W.'s Lil Lady, bred by Henrietta Perry, CO. Name of breeder and state bred are from reports available (free, no registration required) through BRIS (brisnet.com, report #105) and Equineline.com (product #10N).

sawyerbrown
Newborn

Postby sawyerbrown » Tue May 10, 2011 4:52 am

Aha! At least we know she's not Asgoodasshelooks! It was amazing how closely the white markings matched our Piper -

We will try using a black light to see if we can id the last missing digit - but it's looking like the best match is R W's Lil Lady -

Thanks so much for your help!