Confusion regarding mares by *Leviathan o/o *Anna Maria

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

aethervox
Allowance Winner

Confusion regarding mares by *Leviathan o/o *Anna Maria

Postby aethervox » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:39 pm

I am wondering if some one can help me untangle these two mares.

Under imported Anna Maria (ASB1, page 66) are listed two fillies by imported Leviathan, the first one, born 1840, was named Palmetto; the second one, born 1842 was not named;

Palmetto (listed as being foaled by 1844, not 1840 in ASB2p172) was bred by B. Peyton and owned in 1847 by O. P. Hare, Virginia.
Her progeny:
1852 b. f. by Black Prince
1853, ch. f. Lucy Davis by Wagner

The Leviathan Mare , foaled 1842 (ASB1p649) was bred and owned by Balie Peyton, in Tennessee.
Her progeny:
18xx, ch. f. by 2d Priam.
1856, ch. c. (Sherritt) Sattelite by imported Albion. In England.
1858, ch. f. Fanny McAlister by O'Meara.

The Priam Mare (ASB 2 p216) is owned by D. C. Douglas, Gallatin, Tenn. Her dam is listed as 'the dam of Satellite by imported Leviathan' (which is correct) and her produce is:
1860, ch. f. Zephyr by O'Meara.

The confusion comes with the pedigree of Helen Douglas (or Douglass), foaled 1858, bred by Col. Clint Douglass and owned by J. R. Butler; (ASB1p513, ASB3p140).

In ASB1 her 1st dam is 'by a son of imported Priam (out of Cora, sister to Medoc)' and her second dam is listed as Palmetto (the dam of Ten Broeck's Satellite and Fanny McAlister the dam of Muggins) by imported Leviathan. in ASB3, her 1st dam is listed as being by Priam 2d, but her second dam is Palmetto by imported Leviathan.

As near as I can tell, the second dam of Helen Douglas should be Leviathan Mare (1842) and not Palmetto. Someone appears to have mixed the two mares up.

Is there any evidence to the contrary?

Thanks!

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: Confusion regarding mares by *Leviathan o/o *Anna Maria

Postby Pan Zareta » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:47 pm

aethervox wrote:As near as I can tell, the second dam of Helen Douglas should be Leviathan Mare (1842) and not Palmetto. Someone appears to have mixed the two mares up.

Is there any evidence to the contrary?

Following the 'letter' of the ASB and electing to identify 2d dam by produce attributed rather than the name given, the answer would be "no".

If you want to put Helen's dam under the Leviathan mare, that's fine. However, for several reasons, one being the conspicuous lack of overlap in their combined recorded produce, I'm unconvinced that Palmetto (foaled 1844 as proven by racing records) and the Leviathan mare were not one and the same.

Whichever mare Helen's dam is under, the ambiguity in her (Helen's) record ought to be noted in the remarks field.